Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay on homophobe violence?
I can imagine it does go on actually probably in retaliation or something or some sort of vigilantism.

mrk2010 Wrote:I can imagine it does go on actually probably in retaliation or something or some sort of vigilantism.

Any demographic that feels persecuted can form vigilantes unfortunately.
Whether that demographic's one of religion, race, sexual orientation, gender ETC.

And to be frank, even the least persecuted demographics can contain loonies that still feel persecuted. Especially when smaller demographics are gaining equal standing.
:frown:
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

I don't know about today and what goes on in the cities.

I do know that 20 years ago there was a push for militant homosexuals and 'gangs' of pink wearing 'protectors' who individually 'fought back' which did include carrying baseball bats, and various other things to target and 'fight back' against homophobia.

The intent was to 'police' the neighborhood(s) and provide a visible security system thus discouraging homophobic attacks. A few cases of unprovoked violence on known 'homophobes' did take place in a few cities.

The problem is that this becomes 'gang violence'. Homophobic attacks are usually done by small groups of homophobes who isolate and attack individual homosexuals.

Actual physical violence as a result of internalized homophobia among the gay community I have never seen. The occasional drunken fight yes, but it never stemmed as a result of sexual orientation.

The stereotyping however I have...and sad to say, been a part of myself from time to time.

I'll see an obviously camp, flamboyant gay man walking down the street, and I'll roll my eyes and think to myself he's an attention whore doing nothing more than lending credence to the cliche that all gay men are effeminate over-the-top broadway show spectacles.

I don't like it about myself, but if we're all being honest...I have thought those things from time to time....I always regret thinking it later, but it is there and something I need to be more understanding of.

I heard about a gay lynch mob in Houston around 1990 (this being 1998 when I heard about it) because of several vigilante attacks on gays (and a horrific recounting of men deciding to drag a lesbian out of her home to beat and gang rape her in broad daylight while spitting on her and calling her a dyke and they did, only they got the lesbian's straight neighbor by mistake which helped make the public see gay bashing as a menace to the public not just to gays) a bunch of gays & lesbians organized, carried weapons, and started patrolling. They didn't catch anyone (I wonder if they used bait?) but what was happening was quickly realized and it freaked out the police & public enough that the cops decided to take it seriously for the first time and on their first night having a cop all camped out getting hit in the head with a bat from a moving car made it personal for the cops. And people who hit Houston cops, even by accident, are known to get pretty banged up from "tripping over the curb" so much and after a couple of incidents word spread of what the cops were doing and gay bashing dropped to about zero causing the gay vigilantes to disband.

wintermoon Wrote:Actual physical violence as a result of internalized homophobia among the gay community I have never seen. The occasional drunken fight yes, but it never stemmed as a result of sexual orientation.

The stereotyping however I have...and sad to say, been a part of myself from time to time.

I'll see an obviously camp, flamboyant gay man walking down the street, and I'll roll my eyes and think to myself he's an attention whore doing nothing more than lending credence to the cliche that all gay men are effeminate over-the-top broadway show spectacles.

I don't like it about myself, but if we're all being honest...I have thought those things from time to time....I always regret thinking it later, but it is there and something I need to be more understanding of.

That's a good thing. Back when I was around your age I knew of gay guys who had been beaten - a couple three times just mere minutes after the assault.

I think our society is changing a lot. Back when I was your age two gay guys in a fight (domestic violence) the police would come and just stand there or not pursue charges even egging on the fight. Today police take it as seriously as a man beating up on his wife.