Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
no idea where to find others like me.
Not sure how to go about meeting people like me. I just would like friends, not necessarily potential partners, although... But I digress, any suggestions?

Hi Hank have you thought about joining a club or doing some voluntary work to meet some new people. Confusedmile:

Dan1980 Wrote:Hi Hank have you thought about joining a club or doing some voluntary work to meet some new people. Confusedmile:

I have, here in Houston we have a large lgbt community, but very little on line info. We do have a news paper that seems to gain a large lgbt following.

In real life and on the Internet, there are groups dedicated to whatever you enjoy.
They're typically easy to join and welcome most people.
If not there, you always have us here who I'm sure would talk to you and get to know you in a friendly way.
Take me as an example; I'd enjoy hearing how you are and what you do. If you want to talk, send me a private message. I'd do it, but you're the one who'll need to show their initiative to find similar people. haha.

Is there any where the LGBT community meet regularly?

Dan1980 Wrote:Is there any where the LGBT community meet regularly?

Depends on where you live, I guess. In bigger cities, you'll have gay bars, but it's not for everyone (I'm not of bars myself), or see about MeetUp groups...

hank Wrote:Not sure how to go about meeting people like me. I just would like friends, not necessarily potential partners, although... But I digress, any suggestions?

OMG there's a HUGE wealth of resources with which to develop a social life in Houston!!!! You just need to find ONE friend willing to help you push past your own resistance to trying stuff and you'll be AMAZED in hindsight!
http://www.houstonglbtcommunitycenter.org/ Wavey
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

CCRox Wrote:OMG there's a HUGE wealth of resources with which to develop a social life in Houston!!!! You just need to find ONE friend willing to help you push past your own resistance to trying stuff and you'll be AMAZED in hindsight!
http://www.houstonglbtcommunitycenter.org/ Wavey

Thanks, useful link.

GossamerMoon Wrote:Depends on where you live, I guess. In bigger cities, you'll have gay bars, but it's not for everyone (I'm not of bars myself), or see about MeetUp groups...

I live in a huge city, with a large gay population. But I have been programmed to see gay people as deviants, so therefore I see myself as a deviant. I don't mean to offend, it is really my upbringing that is responsible forr that skewed concept. but because of that coupled with my past self degradation gay pop culture appeals very little to me. The more lgbt people I meet the more I realize the stereotypes are placed there by straight people inorder to identify gay people. For the more homophobic ones to see a greater gap between themselves and the dreaded gay people. (sorry my attempt at humor)

Jumping over that fence (proverbially) or realizing there is no fence there isn't easy, it goes against everything I thought I knew. It is hard to adjust when your world has been turned on its head. To murder the metaphor, right now I am living on the ciling, I just need to realize that it was the floor all along.

Give your local LGBT center a go.
I am pretty sure they also have a list of safe business places and hangouts.