Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
old + need advice
[COLOR="Purple"]I dont think there is really anything you can do about blushing Pablogeebee.

It might get to a point where you become so jaded that your system makes it all "normal".

I feel pretty heated at times and wonder how much my blushing is showing but at my age no one really makes fun of one Rolleyes

but from a very early age I turned beet red whenever I told a lie and how the kids in class yelped... I just learned to always tell the truth Wink2 [/COLOR]

I think its stupid how many societies in the world put so much emphasis on youth. I think youth is overrated. I feel that Tuesdays with Morrie states some intelligent ideas about the fear of aging.

As you grow, you learn more. If you stayed as ignorant as you were at twenty- two, you'd always be twenty-two. Aging is not just decay, you know. It’s growth. It’s more than the negative that you’re going to die, it’s also the positive that you understand you’re going to die, and that you live a better life because of it.”“You know what that reflects? Unsatisfied lives. Unfulfilled lives. Lives that haven’t found meaning. Because if you’ve found meaning in your life, you don’t want to go back. You want to go forward. You want to see more, do more. You can’t wait

You have to find what’s good and true and beautiful in your life as it is now. Looking back makes you competitive. And, age is not a competitive issue.

And there was another that I couldn't find, but it talked about how so many young people are facing misery and difficult situations that people in their middle and old age have long forgotten. And these young people don't have the wisdom to be able to deal with it.

And to those who fear aging because they think they are becoming less attractive, don't think that. There are plenty of people who feel that older guys have a really attractive look(myself included).

edit: oh wow, I see noone has posted in here for like 8 months. :redface:

I was a very wise 21 year old in alot of respects...not so wise in others (men) LOL. I remember when I was 21 I was really aware of ageism and at the time I told my friends that it would be prudent to learn from and respect older people because I sensed how you treat older people and view them when you are 21 is an indication of how you will view yourself when you are older. I was right.

I don't hate getting older at all....as Peter said I also find a freedom in it. The best thing for me was when i was young I had alot of pressure to always look good (working in a gay nightclub it is a requirement)...and I complied but I was resentful about it because you figure out that alot of the people who are talking to you are doing it because of the way you look...not because they like who you are....but it is all a part of the job so you live with it,

Now...I have a personal trainer and I go to the gym and I am far more concerned with my health...I think I look great but have no idea what anyone else thinks and THAT is freedom for me being a gay man.

The other thing I was wise about when i was young but the wisdom came from listening to older people at the time...is to enjoy the age you are and make the most of it. It will keep you from resenting youth and hating yourself later in life and then projecting that on the rest of the world....never pretty at any age really:biggrin:

eastofeden Wrote:... how you treat older people and view them when you are 21 is an indication of how you will view yourself when you are older. I was right.

I don't hate getting older at all.... ... it is all a part of the job (and life) so you live with it, very down to earth our EastOfEden is... haha.

The other thing I was wise about when i was young but the wisdom came from listening to older people at the time...is to enjoy the age you are and make the most of it. It will keep you from resenting youth and hating yourself later in life and then projecting that on the rest of the world....never pretty at any age really:biggrin:

ooooh, words of wisdom with a capital W, East of Eden... Got to love you for that... lol. Confusedmile: :biggrin: I concur!

adorable89 Wrote:I think its stupid how many societies in the world put so much emphasis on youth. I think youth is overrated. I feel that Tuesdays with Morrie states some intelligent ideas about the fear of aging.

As you grow, you learn more. If you stayed as ignorant as you were at twenty- two, you'd always be twenty-two. Aging is not just decay, you know. It’s growth. It’s more than the negative that you’re going to die, it’s also the positive that you understand you’re going to die, and that you live a better life because of it.”“You know what that reflects? Unsatisfied lives. Unfulfilled lives. Lives that haven’t found meaning. Because if you’ve found meaning in your life, you don’t want to go back. You want to go forward. You want to see more, do more. You can’t wait

You have to find what’s good and true and beautiful in your life as it is now. Looking back makes you competitive. And, age is not a competitive issue.

And there was another that I couldn't find, but it talked about how so many young people are facing misery and difficult situations that people in their middle and old age have long forgotten. And these young people don't have the wisdom to be able to deal with it.

And to those who fear aging because they think they are becoming less attractive, don't think that. There are plenty of people who feel that older guys have a really attractive look(myself included).

edit: oh wow, I see noone has posted in here for like 8 months. :redface:
Dying is unfortunately NOT reserved to those who have grown old... Life, and experience, teach you that. I've lost a brother in his thirties... I've lost some students who were only 14 or 15, from car accidents, I've lost childhood friends at the ages of 11 and 18, again a traffic accident and illness. We are, all in all, a fragile, (but resilient) lot.

princealbertofb Wrote:Dying is unfortunately NOT reserved to those who have grown old... Life, and experience, teach you that. I've lost a brother in his thirties... I've lost some students who were only 14 or 15, from car accidents, I've lost childhood friends at the ages of 11 and 18, again a traffic accident and illness. We are, all in all, a fragile, (but resilient) lot.

of course, I agree, thats just how the book was putting it, and only part of how it was putting it.

Can´t avoid your age....so why not to learn live with it?

i'm 23 and i look way older than my age. some would even say i look like i was in my 30's and that hurts honestly. but never did i hide my age when someone asks about it. i've learned how to amuse myself at each person's reaction when hearing about my age. before, i use to hate it a lot but i get use to it and found a way to take it less negatively.

funny though cause even though my physical appearance looks older than my age, i feel like mentally and emotionally, very young. immature, in fact, to say the least.

as long as we feel young at heart....we are alive.
I know many who has started living at the age of 40....
Including.....me.