Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pop corn + Passion of the Christ
Here I am still procrastinating. Confusedmile:

So I may as well ask the ultimate philosophical/intellectual question:

For its original theatrical run, would it have been wrong to see Passion of the Christ and simultaneously purchase/consume a bag of popcorn?

Let me just say that I do not attend church, am not overly religious in any sense, I consider myself spiritual blah blah yahoo yahoo that whole speech. : ) I'm bringing my thoughts essentially as an observer.

However, I have consistently found myself baffled by this question. Popcorn + Passion of the Christ? Perhaps it's because I see popcorn as something you consume when you are about to see something you WANT to see, like a movie, etc. I don't go to many horror thrillers so I don't have that aspect to bring to this question, but somehow I think a hardcore Christian might need to look themselves over again before they eat popcorn while simultaneously watching Passion of the Christ. I am sure everyone understands the significance of this deeply philosophical/intellectual question (perhaps even meta-physical..ConfusedmileSmile, and I'm sure everyone will consider their conclusion carefully. I think it would be wrong to eat popcorn while watching your savior lord savior person etc die a horrible and painful death. Your thoughts!

hrmmm, well it depends on how you view the movie... i'm from a catholic family (I used to follow but not anymore) and i would say... if you view the movie as you going to receive some sort of religious enlightenment, then maybe you may think to yourself that this is similar or even a different medium but the same thing as going to church to receive insight, in this case on the death of Jesus. In this case, if you view this as synonymous to going to "church" then you would probably refrain from the snacks.

But if you're like me, you view this movie, yes it's a serious movie, but its still man-made, still based on human persons' particular views of how a scene should be portrayed etc, then I dont think you view this as something where you are going for "insight", i'm just going to see the portrayal and respect it for its cinematographic portrayal rather than its religious portrayal, and in this way, i say extra butter and a large drink.

I would not consider watching Passion of the Christ because Mel Gibson has something to do with it. LONG BEFORE the creep was exposed as a racist sexist anti Semite jerk he was NOTORIOUS for his homophobic rants...seems people forgot about it or never paid any attention as it is rarely reported...

...so I wouldn't waste my popcorn..am not interested in anything the thug has to say nor do I want to see anything from his POV or through his eyes....especially anything related to religion...

...and on another note...he (Mr Christ) is not my savior or anything else...nice story sorta but Leviticus and the Immaculate Conception lost me as far as stories goWink In order to retain my interest in a work of fiction I have to be willing to suspend my disbelief and take a ride but after the bit about stoning people to death for planting two different crops in the same field...er...not my idea of a good story:biggrin: I always wonder if he was smoking crack when he wrote that crap.

Yeah I would definitely get popcorn! Well, simply because the movie may have been made to invoke introspection, and perhaps to question your belief on the truth and validity of Christ's death. However, the movie came off as masochistic art by a demented psycho. It was ninety minutes of motion picture about the horrific beating death of a man. It was senseless and overly indulgent. And, to see it continuously, for me, is sadomasochistic. It, was mindless entertainment, and popcorn was/is appropriate.

Besides, if Christians like Mel Gibson truly cared about their religions, then they would follow the commandments, tenets, and creeds.

Commandment no. 4:

You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

Any image that is created, supposedly to indicate it being Christ is not permitted. No images, sculptures, motion pictures etc!! Christians break their own rules too often.

Hey, eastofeden, where is your thank you button? Well, here goes, THANK YOU!!!

Aaycle Wrote:Hey, eastofeden, where is your thank you button? Well, here goes, THANK YOU!!!

Awww...thanks!:biggrin: I usually get yelled at when I post things like that at straight debate sites and I have come to expect it I suppose so getting a thank you for sharing my thoughts on this subject is foreign to me...but I am delighted so I want to thank YOU! (BTW...I like what you had to say as well:biggrinSmile

*Blushing* :biggrin: I am blushing, I blush too easily, and ditto on the thank you. And, you are most welcome.

Mr Gibson is also quite anglophobic too.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Keyla Wrote:Here I am still procrastinating. Confusedmile:

So I may as well ask the ultimate philosophical/intellectual question:

For its original theatrical run, would it have been wrong to see Passion of the Christ and simultaneously purchase/consume a bag of popcorn?

Let me just say that I do not attend church, am not overly religious in any sense, I consider myself spiritual blah blah yahoo yahoo that whole speech. : ) I'm bringing my thoughts essentially as an observer.

However, I have consistently found myself baffled by this question. Popcorn + Passion of the Christ? Perhaps it's because I see popcorn as something you consume when you are about to see something you WANT to see, like a movie, etc. I don't go to many horror thrillers so I don't have that aspect to bring to this question, but somehow I think a hardcore Christian might need to look themselves over again before they eat popcorn while simultaneously watching Passion of the Christ. I am sure everyone understands the significance of this deeply philosophical/intellectual question (perhaps even meta-physical..ConfusedmileSmile, and I'm sure everyone will consider their conclusion carefully. I think it would be wrong to eat popcorn while watching your savior lord savior person etc die a horrible and painful death. Your thoughts!

I believe in the Bible it says that Christ gave some of his most interesting sermons while people were gathered for a meal... the wedding at Cana, the fish and bread distribution, the holy communion... I'd say food is essential to hearing Jesus's messages. I think he didn't want to talk to empty stomachs that had other things in mind, like hunger. So he fed them with food then fed their souls.

fredv3b Wrote:Mr Gibson is also quite anglophobic too.

Yes! I hadn't even thought of that but you are right.