Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pop corn + Passion of the Christ
princealbertofb Wrote:I believe in the Bible it says that Christ gave some of his most interesting sermons while people were gathered for a meal... the wedding at Cana, the fish and bread distribution, the holy communion... I'd say food is essential to hearing Jesus's messages. I think he didn't want to talk to empty stomachs that had other things in mind, like hunger. So he fed them with food then fed their souls.

I like this answer. Food for thought, like? I did not actually see Passion of the Christ in theatres when it came out back in '04. I vaguely remember KillBill had just been released and that was on the one all my friends were going to (but I did watch South Park's Passion of the Jew ROTF!! ConfusedmileSmile

Aaycle also has a good point about it being mindless entertainment - which of course it was - not unlike KillBill. My overall feelings about Mel Gibson conclude to the fact that here is this egotistical conceited ditherbrain who somehow created a jewel once (Braveheart), and flanking the jewel other either side of his career are the real failures that are a reacurring metaphor for him. He's just like any artist with one good creation that he's still touting, like Michael Cimino with Deer Hunter, or John Mayer with Continuum.

So how many of you guys actually saw it for in theatres for the original run?

I didn't see it. I much preferred the version which had Willem Dafoe in it, The Last Temptation of Christ, which, at the time, was quite controversial. Was it Martin Scorsese? Having checked it was, after Nikos Kazantzakis's book.

In the series, Lives of Jesus, I'd recommend Pier Paolo Pasolini's Gospel According to Saint Matthew, and Denys Arquand's Jesus of Montreal... (respectively Italian and Canadian directors)

A group of actors put on an unorthodox, but acclaimed Passion Play which incites the opposition of the Catholic Church while the actors' lives themselves begin to mirror the Passion itself. (Jesus of Montreal)

The life of Jesus Christ, his journey through life as he faces the temptations that all humans face during their lives, and his final temptation upon the cross. (The Last Temptation of Christ)

The life of Jesus Christ according to the Gospel of Matthew. Pasolini shows Christ as a marxist avant-la-lettre and therefore uses half of the text of Matthew. (The Gospel According to Saint Matthew)

I didn't see it and I really don't plan on seeing it. I couldn't care less if someone watches while eating popcorn. I don't really think it's suitable to watch it while eating popcorn for some reason, but that's just me. I'm not even a religious person at all and I said that.

I did watch The Passion of the Jew (South Park episode) and it was really good. I'll be honest, I fell asleep during the middle of it the first time I watched it. I watched it again and I watched all of it.

It all depends on whether (specially in the quiet bits)
  • you rustle around in a very noisy paper bag
  • you spit popcorn flakes if you cough or giggle
  • you drop handfuls of popcorn all over the floor, my coat and my bag
  • you crunch loudly
  • you chew with your mouth half open
  • you spit out unpopped corn
  • you throw popcorn at people three rows in front of you

Pop corn is a must have when watching a film in a cinema.
Especially when the film is about a something i hold little interest in(Or in this case, a moderate dislike of).

Anywho, why would eatting ANYTHING be a bad thing while watching this film?

Its about religion, so what? I'm sure people sometimes eat while reading a bible.....
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

Genersis Wrote:Pop corn is a must have when watching a film in a cinema.
Especially when the film is about a something i hold little interest in(Or in this case, a moderate dislike of).

Anywho, why would eatting ANYTHING be a bad thing while watching this film?

Its about religion, so what? I'm sure people sometimes eat while reading a bible.....

Well said. And ya know what? If I ever do watch The Passion of the Christ for some odd reason, I'm gonna be eating popcorn and I'm gonna be on the edge of my seat for the total carnage. Astrosmiley2

Pop corn is a must have when watching a film in a cinema.

I agree completely except they MUST use real butter...I drive 45 minutes out of my way to go to the one theatre in Silicon Valley that uses real butter (and they don't have 3-D grrrrrrrrrrr) The other stuff makes me barf as soon as I smell it and I have to have popcorn with my movie.

I have actually written to via snail mail/email and also by phone all of the threatres in the area imploring them to use real butter instead of that fake processed crap.

I love a campaigner Wink

We eat our popcorn here with salt on it... Butter? Now that's fattening, lol.

princealbertofb Wrote:We eat our popcorn here with salt on it... Butter? Now that's fattening, lol.

Ahhh...real butter, sour cream and cream cheese are my guilty pleasures...I eat them all sparingly so I will never have to give them upWink