Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pop psychology question
i agree Smile

i mean i agree that freuds theory is all bs

To paraphrase form the book I mentioned in my above post: "for some homosexuality represents a vital core on [one's] being. For others it is a "marginally important factor in a life built around other concerns." I fall into the latter. Coming to terms with or finding a theoretical base for my sexuality is not an issue standing in the way of my living a fulfilling life. But for others the opposite may be true. We each have to determine the role and the extent our sexuality plays in our lives.

Hey folks, thanks to one and all for responding. Lots of different perspectives. I appreciate your taking the time to reply, and I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this thread.

My own impression of Freud was largely shaped when I had heard he was, ahem, sort of a cokehead, and advocated cocaine as a treatment for depression. When a patient of a student of his died from a heart attack, he re-evaluated his prescription... so, there's not a lot about the id, the ego, and the superego from an addled turn of the century sexually repressed cokehead that holds a lot of water for me.

My own personal theory is that we are, to use a cliche, born one way or the other. If we're true to ourselves we should be cool and sleep peaceful at night.

Thanks again for responding, interesting perspectives.

orphanpip -

you make several excellent points. the reason I think I'm so hard on Freud, and so many others are, is that his theories dominated and pioneered modern psychiatry to such an extent, and caused at least in my family a lot of treatments and treatment of the mentally ill in general that are now regarded as barbaric.

Wasn't Jung a student of his, who disagreed with him most vehemently? Always thought Jung's theory of collective consciousness, or Skinner's of behavioralism, either one made a hell of a lot more sense than that id, ego and superego stuff... ;-)

I believe that the time when a boy walks away from his mother he must bond with a man whether it be his father, uncle, grandfather or family friend. If there is no male in his life he will be in limbo until something comes along to unbalance the limbo. He may be nurtured by his mother or grandmother or another female. He will sometimes identify with them if he is of the sensitive nature or not.
My father was the absent one and though I knew he loved me he and I never did anything together which did not involve pain. He was the punisher my mother was the lover...I identified with her and my grandmother. Then I had women or girls in my life who treated me like I did not know what I was doing and I did not. The only sexual action I had in my life which was positive was with men. I have continued to seek out men all my adult life. And it has never been positive only negative.
Check out the book "Growth into Manhood" by Alan Medinger.

lots of 30year old men attribute their current lives to their childhood. This is so bad because the world has dramatically changed since back then so at some point your life experiences should be expected to over whelm your boyhood.

Dont be so lazy, attempt to self modify.

I have always found it unbelievable that just because someone publishes a book on their own life, millions of other people think they should live by that persons venues and philosophies...when they actually have absolutely nothing in common.