Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
price of gas going up?
yesss
saw this in the NYTimes

just even the rumor gets head lines

Herllo,
I think if you ever feel that petrol/gas is expensive in america try the united kingdom prices... A litre of petrol here is £1.34 for basic unleaded or £1.40 for Ultimate unleaded. Now i always get ultimate unleaded as i want a clean engine... this works out converted to something like almost $3 a litre (as much as 1/2 a bottle of coke) To fill my car up everytime im looking at £65 which will last me anything from 7 days to 22 days depending on usage. Now is american prices $130 a time to fill your car 1100cc engine??? So it isnt a big car but its pricey enough... I read a report a little while ago and there is another country more expensive than the UK but the cheapest is somewhere around portugal where it is about 11p per litre of petrol which is dead cheap.... for those that dont understand english currency 100p = £1 so its 93% or so cheaper there than here lol...

Kindest regards

zeon x

I just usually walk everywhere I have to go :p. It takes about 6hrs to walk from one end of the island to the other(if you've got a peppy walk). Although, when I did have a bike(before it broke!!:mad: ), it was an electric(one of those really nice ones. My cousin (who married into money) bought it for me). I personally don't want to contribute to global warming and what not, so I prefer electric vehicles.

My friend has a motorbike and he's always complaining about how the prices keep fluctuating. He laughs at me, cause I walk everywhere, but I laugh at him when he has no money to spend. Not to mention the traffic Biggrinflip .

hello,
I dont personally beleive in global warming because they can never seem to decide whether its getting too hot or too cold... I used to but because they keep changing their minds and they are the scientists I have decided it doesnt exists... What does exists is mother natures way of adapting to how us as humans destroy the area we live in and also destroy it for other living creatures....

Kindest regards

zeon

I paid $1.66 for premium unleade yesterday in Australia. Regular unleaded is $1.51...with the AU$ and US$ being close to parity, the dollar amounts are roughly the same.

There is almost 4 Litres in a gallon.

How much is the US paying a gallon?

I know my friend who lives in new mexico was saying to fill his truck up was the equavalient to £30 and i wish i could fill my car up for this... 9 years ago when i started driving to fill my subaru vivio up it cost me £25 from empty despite being a 650cc car petrol prices were 60p a litre then and in under a decade they have increased more than 100% here yet us british dont seem to protest for long which annoys me we moan but do nothing about it

zeon Wrote:hello,
I dont personally beleive in global warming because they can never seem to decide whether its getting too hot or too cold... I used to but because they keep changing their minds and they are the scientists I have decided it doesnt exists... What does exists is mother natures way of adapting to how us as humans destroy the area we live in and also destroy it for other living creatures....

Kindest regards

zeon

This is true, but just incase it does exist and it is contributing, I want to be on the safe side. I can say for a fact that, over here when I was growing up, it was always beaming hot (tropical island, Rolleyes ) and never have we had hail and all of that. Well, in the last three years, we've had storms, hail, lots of gusty wind and rain and basically weather that's not usually typical of a island. Especially ours.

Either way, I think I rather enjoy walking more than I do travelling in a vehicle, however important. For you guys, I understand you need them, cause you're in big countries, but for us, we can just walk to where we need to go. (although we have vehicles like everywhere else). Plus, I'm a nervous driver in cars anyway, our roads are so small, one wrong turn equals a crash or death here. Prefer a bike :tongue: .

QueenOdi Wrote:This is true, but just incase it does exist and it is contributing, I want to be on the safe side. I can say for a fact that, over here when I was growing up, it was always beaming hot (tropical island, Rolleyes ) and never have we had hail and all of that. Well, in the last three years, we've had storms, hail, lots of gusty wind and rain and basically weather that's not usually typical of a island. Especially ours.

Either way, I think I rather enjoy walking more than I do travelling in a vehicle, however important. For you guys, I understand you need them, cause you're in big countries, but for us, we can just walk to where we need to go. (although we have vehicles like everywhere else). Plus, I'm a nervous driver in cars anyway, our roads are so small, one wrong turn equals a crash or death here. Prefer a bike :tongue: .

Sometimes i have thought about giving up my car but i live 15 miles from my family and if i did do this i would have to use publis transport and im sevrely allergic to that... Old biddies on a bus stinking of stale urine and sticky seats no thanks.... There is a song that sums it up and its on youtube if you type in Parody London Underground... Sung by simon bizwaz or something like that its really catchy and its about the tube...

T6he opening lyrics are

Some people might like to get a train to work some people drive a beam or merc some guys like to travel in by bus but i cant be bothered with the fuss today

Its got little pretty pictuyres and is very goodf

Comparing European prices to American prices may, on the surface, look like a jolly good bet. That is only on the surface, its not until we start comparing American life styles to European lifestyles.

Lets look at the physical geography of the USA to Europe:

http://goeurope.about.com/od/europeanmap...on-map.htm provides an overlay of the USA and Europe. The whole of Europe is 'tiny' compared to the whole of USA.

The typical Brit rarely drives that far on any given day, while here in California millions commute 100 miles to and from work daily. England, Wales Scotland would fit neatly inside of California. Further East of me here in the Central Valley, Stockton, Tracy and surrounding areas are bedroom communities, folk live there and drive the 80-120 miles to the Bay area to work. Every morning about 2 million people get up, and get in their car (yes by themselves) and drive to work.

The alternative is to drive to Dublin/Pleasanton and hop BART - if you work any where near its line. The other alternative is to take one of three daily trains to Oakland, then hop on a bus or Bart to get to other parts. this only works well if you work close to a BART station.

L.A. is another commuter paradise, as many of the outlying communities of L.A. are actually bedroom communities, and again a couple three million people jump in their car and drive 50 or so miles to work.

So while the typical UK person may be spending more per volume of petrol, they are most likely using far less than a typical American.

On top of this, a lot of goods in the USA goes cross country via big rig trucks (lorry). Compared to say the UK, our rail system is nearly nonexistent. Yes we have long rail routes and lots of them, but the density of rail compared to the UK is woeful. Here in California we have two (just two) passenger train routes, the majority of rail traffic is just cargo.

Where as most UK towns and villages and suburbs are tied in to major work areas with rail and mass transit, the USA is built on a network of roads and spread out in the Automobile Era.

Los Angeles up until 1940's had an extensive network of trollies and even passenger train lines from the surrounding areas into the city. In the 1940's, after WWII, all of those tracks were pulled up in favor of the freeway system. L.A. is now surviving on mostly private automobiles, with a mass transit system that comes from the third world (compared to most European nations).

Depending on how you look at the statistics, and what factors you play into commute time, most Americans spend nearly twice as much time traveling to and from work than most Brits.

Americans fill up over twice as often as UK folk.

And of course the taxes. While a UK citizen is paying more in fuel, they are paying far less in health insurance. There are various other minor social programs that are ran off the taxes generated in the UK that come directly out of the pocket of a US citizen.

A UK citizen gets more 'bang' from their buck. While some things are covered by the small Federal and State taxes levied against petrol, the reality is that most increases in price per volume is pure profit for the oil companies and they sheer the sheeple on a yearly basis.

Paid 1.79 filling up on Thursday , I usually prefer to walk than drive.
i am glad that my car runs on the smell of an oily rag.