Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pulled my hamstring
I knew I was going to injure myself while trying to get back into shape. I get so fixed on working out as hard as I can that I don't think about getting injured. So when I do, it puts me down a lot. Its my stupid mentality. I tell myself that I have to slow down and take breaks but I never do it. So now I won't be able to run for awhile. So what are some things that I can do to make up for not running? I only walk now but it gets boring. I lift weights. I was also thinking about swimming but I don't have anywhere to do that.

Zoomba!
There are MANY clips on youtube! Xyxthumbs
It is NOT very attractive to witness you putting yourself down so much. The best way to begin to change you is to begin changing that! STOP IT! Admitting you goofed up and taking ownership is much more attractive from that perspective than from the "I am stupider than stupid can get" approach. BTW, stupider really is a correct term! Laugh So I"m not saying to lighten up, I'm saying change how you phrase. It will have a great effect on your attitude AND your "look!" Wavey
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

First, stop beating the hell out of yourself for being over enthusiastic! At least you have the wherewithall to exercise in the first place.

Swimming really is among the best exercise. It is low impact on your body while still using muscles that normally don't see the light of day. And as much as you dislike it, as boring as it may be, lifting weights is a big part of exercising. Don't try to just bench press the heavy stuff, use a lighter weight set and repetition to build muscle mass slowly. Otherwise you use muscle groupings unequally and start to look ungainly, a bulging muscle here, sinew and flesh there. It just isn't comely (pardon the pun).

The best advise is to try to take it easy until you heal properly and then pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again. No one told you it was going to be easy. I beg your pardon, I never promised you a rose garden.

1syellow1

I just looked up zoomba, it looks a lot of fun. Probably gonna close the curtains and do it in my bedroom lol I'm gonna try it today. I lift weights already and I take it real slow on that its just my leg is injured and I really want to work on my cardio. I figured I might put some weights in my backpack and walk a mile or so with it on.

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

I'm actually going to do it right now, join me u guys

concentrate on resting the muscle

Same here, I've been beating myself for a months now during weight lifting, and I'm trying to go easy on me now. The problem is I don't know when is considered easy. Being little easy can mean I don't work out while trying a bit harder lands me in minor pain.

Anyway you pulled your hamstrings when you're running? I read somewhere that it is the weak glutes that the hamstrings have to do extra work. For me though, if I ever have to run for so long, the first area that I feel pain will be my left stomach.

BTW what is your goal when you go to the gym?

DawnArmy Wrote:Same here, I've been beating myself for a months now during weight lifting, and I'm trying to go easy on me now. The problem is I don't know when is considered easy. Being little easy can mean I don't work out while trying a bit harder lands me in minor pain.

Anyway you pulled your hamstrings when you're running? I read somewhere that it is the weak glutes that the hamstrings have to do extra work. For me though, if I ever have to run for so long, the first area that I feel pain will be my left stomach.

BTW what is your goal when you go to the gym?

I feel the same way you do. I don't know what easy is. I feel the same way when you go to the doctors and they say from 1 - 10 how much does it hurt. My goal for the gym is to lose weight. I've lost about 10 pounds so far. I also want to build back some muscle and get toned.

You seem to have an unhealthy obsession with having to run.

When your body speaks to you, you'd better listen to it. So relax and heal and try not to worry about running or doing something to fill that void.

Sorry that happened to you lauj, I can sympathise having suffered the same thing myself. I had just finished an 8 klm. run and just 100 metres from my home I stopped short with an excruciating pain in my left leg. It took me 30 minutes to stagger to my home.

It took weeks to get better and that was achieved by taking it very easy and lots of rest. You've received some good advice from others here. Take notice of them and good luck.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams