Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
revenge thrillers
Hi just looking at the "whats your genre" thread, and notice mrtinkles,that you like revenge flicks, me too, and reminded me of my first choice on brit flicks thread, which is "dead mans shoes" an ace brit revenge thriller, its so nice to live in a world, even if just an hour and a half, where the wicked get swift justice.

5 points to whoever mentions charles bronson! :-)

Charles bronson.

I'm not much for that genre (unless it's especially creative), but I do love this scene from a supernatural horror-comedy, which I'd think a fan of Bronson would also appreciate:

Do you know what, i dont think ive ever seen a movie of his, just thought someone might have said one of them deathwish films (which i havent seen)

Actually its not my favourite genre either, just liked the one i mentioned in title post and had this random idea for a post, supernatural horror is much more my thing Big Grin

Confused as to why a fan a bronson would appreciate that, though im not so maybe thats why. which evil dead was that?

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE revenge movies!!

Love them, love them, love them!!!

They dont make enough of them.

Do you like "bad 'B' movies"??? They made a lot of those bad "B" movies back in the 1980's here in America that were revenge movies. Some are funny, some are just bad. But they are all good, because they are REVENGE MOVIES!!!!

The "Deathwish" series with Charles Bronson was excellent.

The "Kill Bill" movies were pretty great, if not gross and great.

But I have to say again, my favorite revenge movie of all time is....

I Spit on Your Grave (the original and the remake)
[Image: I-Spit-On-Your-Grave-1978.jpg]
[Image: I_Spit_On_Your_Grave_I_Spit_Online_One_Sheet1.jpg]

I do NOT recommend these for people with delicate sensibilities, as they are rough, graphic, and full of violent actions.

Nothing makes me blink, long as it is has good narrative, i must watch i spit on your grave someday, have known about it forever but always been bit put of a bit by the premise of rape in it, although im sure that makes the revenge bits more sweeter Big Grin

partisan Wrote:Confused as to why a fan a bronson would appreciate that, though im not so maybe thats why. which evil dead was that?

It's Army of Darkness.

I've only seen 2 Bronson movies and both were 13 years ago at least so my memory of them is vague. One was the first Death Wish movie and also Kinjite as a Bronson fan said I MUST see them and thought I'd love them. They were ok enough. The first Death Wish was about a pacifist (though some kind of past combat experience) who has to deal with his wife & daughter gang raped and assaulted, I think his wife killed and daughter put in a mental hospital after. After seeing how little the system cares and how punks brazenly menace citizens he gets a gun and begins trolling for predators, at first more in a gray area between legite self-defense and vigilantism and growing into full blown vigilantism which shocks & terrifies the thugs while cops are upset someone is showing them up and the public is divided on the vigilante. IIRC, he gets shot himself pretty bad and a cop finds him but helps him escape arrest and he ends up moving to a new city...where punks accost him. I'm told the later movies has him much more aggressive rather than a sympathetic husband & father pushed too far and never watched them. The first one was ok in my book and had a few interesting lines (philosophy wise), including in being a "goody two shoes" in the face of rampant violent crime against innocents.

The other was Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects, which deals with sex crimes against women and I liked the drama and character growth in it, like a Japanese father who, after witnessing a molestation on the subway tries the same thing himself only for the underage teen he gropes to freak and he runs barely escaping an angry lynch mob "after the Jap" (I think an innocent Japanese guy gets beaten up). He continues to wrestle with his taboo desires but forced to confront them after his own daughter is kidnapped by a vicious pimp (and the girl he tried molesting on the subway recognizes him to his shame but she keeps his secret as he's distraught over what happened to his daughter, who after rescued ends up committing suicide over her experiences). Bronson is very much a vigilante against johns paying kids for sex, and especially pimps, like abducting the horrid pimp and asking him what kids had to do for him to buy his Rolex and then makes him swallow it at gunpoint (and the pimp is out for revenge after that). Once he does bring the pimp in he only gets a slap on the wrist and the pimp taunts him with all his work, all he lost, and he'll be out in like a year, laughing at him, until Bronson's character explains that while it didn't work out as he hoped he was at least able to arrange WHERE he spent his brief time, which was with psychopath rapists and ends with his shrieks as he's being raped while Bronson mutters, "Justice."

So all in all it shows brazen thugs who hold no fear of the law or their potential victims who are shocked and outraged when someone pulls a gun on them and stops them...and thus I figured a fan of Bronson vigilante movies would like that scene I shared.

I hate most rape/revenge flicks because their main appeal is how "extreme" they are (which usually isn't even true) and they pretend to be empowering for women when in actuality they're anything but.

Revenge is a very satisfying theme though! My favourite revenge flicks are probably Kill Vill Volume 1 and 2 + Chan Wook Park's revenge trilogy (Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Lady Vengeance).