Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tips for cutting back on the beer ??
hi all, everyone of my friends drinks inc me, whether it be just meeting up with mates to goin anywhere together. it always seems to include beer, my problem is that i get bored very very easily and although i do sports, bike riding, gym always through the day though, when it comes to the evening i seem to grab a beer even if im just playing xbox - im not saying i have a drink problem as i never drink when im working my shifts (4 12 hr shifts over 5 days) but its the time off that gives me the problem...i think its time to cut back but need a few tips of help because im doing rubbish so far Smile

avoid buying the beer for the house, toss out the beer you have in the fridge.
buy some diet soda instead.

pellaz is totally right. Before you can stop or at least decrease the un-wanting behavior you need to take care of what causes the behavior.

So you said you hang out with friends, okay, they offer a beer, fine one is okay. Sip on it, grab a glass with some ice in it, and sip on it. This way it decreases you from having more than what you actually want. And gosh don't be afraid of saying "Listen dude, I'm trying to cut back from the beer, I appreciate you offering it, but I'll take some Ice-tea instead" or something of that nature.

Man when I stopped drinking soda, about a few years ago, I totally didn't have any soda in my house. When I go to other people's house, I take juice, ice-tea at restaurants (I went from sweet ice-tea, to un-sweet ice tea now), now I don't even LIKE SODA! I can't stand it, I get headaches when I drink even one can! so I avoid it all together.

When you're playing x-box, make a BIG mug of ice-tea and drink a glass instead of the beer.

I'm advocating ice-tea (sweet, but more so un-sweet) instead of diet-coke or soda. Matter of fact, soda whether it's the real thing or diet, is both bad for you. You might as well forget the diet, and just go with the real thing if you wanna drink soda.

But you obviously need to first discipline yourself before you can actually stop it.

It took me about half a year to fully realize that, wow, I don't need soda, I don't want it, and I don't care for it. O.o' Obviously on special occasions you'll want to indulge into a beer for the social part of the event (Such as a birthday, Christmas etc..) but again you need to limit yourself, and you need to know when to stop. Smile

Good luck!

set yourself a limit .. say 1 beer a day or something like that. If you see that does not help, then you should probably do what pellaz said.

matty7 Wrote:hi all, everyone of my friends drinks inc me, whether it be just meeting up with mates to goin anywhere together. it always seems to include beer, my problem is that i get bored very very easily and although i do sports, bike riding, gym always through the day though, when it comes to the evening i seem to grab a beer even if im just playing xbox - im not saying i have a drink problem as i never drink when im working my shifts (4 12 hr shifts over 5 days) but its the time off that gives me the problem...i think its time to cut back but need a few tips of help because im doing rubbish so far Smile

Many alcoholics can say they do not have a drinking problem because they do drink at work.

I didn't drink at work - I did meth, coke and other uppers while on duty. And they let me carry a concealed side arm too! God those days were so stupid.

WHY are you doing rubbish? The world is full of fluids - orange juice, Apple Juice, hot tea, cold tea, fizzy drinks/soda... water.... What about beer is so important to you that you must drink it?

Start there - once you figure out the why, then you most likely can figure out how to cut back.

As an alcoholic I can tell you that the thirst never goes away. I did the AA thing, I did the Army program we call ASAP (Army Subtsance Abuse Program), the Army loves acronyms, but all it did was teach me that I like alcohol. Once I accepted that and realized it would always be part of my life I learned that I had the power to control it. Do I have times where I lose control yes, but overall I do pretty well.
Richard

I love beer

beer lover here, and I have had 2 beers in 3 1/2 years...WILL POWER, depends how bad you want do it.

I did have a drinking problem, not alcoholic, not a binge drinker, but in my opinion I drank too much for the sake of drinking.

I find myself drinker more water now, don't drink soft drink/soda/pop whatever you want to call it because to be completely honest if health and fitness is a goal, beer in my opinion would be the leser of the 2 evils by the narrowest of margins.

Matty, it's all about setting yourself realistic goals and having the discipline to achieve them, then reach those goals and then set new goals.

I find poverty helps, I was at a bar earlier today I could really only afford one beer anyway, ha.

pellaz Wrote:avoid buying the beer for the house, toss out the beer you have in the fridge.
buy some diet soda instead.

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]That is such good advice, I had to give up drinking beer because I was becoming overweight. Now I don't keep beer in my house, so the only time I drink is when I go out socially. I don't buy diet soda it's called pop to us Brits, I buy flavoured water low in calories and tastes nice too.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
: