Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"to text"
What is the past tense of the verb "to text"?

I use "I just text you", others would say "I just text you".

I had a debate over this 2 days ago

Vote!

Since the word "text" has only become a verb in the past very few years the field may be open. Why can't you just say "sent a text"?

We can assume that, as marshlander pointed out, it's only been used as a verb in recent years, that it would be regular and follow the basic pattern. So in the simple past it would be 'texted', perfect tense 'have texted' and imperfect 'was texting/used to text'.

xxx

sox-and-the-city Wrote:We can assume that, as marshlander pointed out, it's only been used as a verb in recent years, that it would be regular and follow the basic pattern. So in the simple past it would be 'texted', perfect tense 'have texted' and imperfect 'was texting/used to text'.

xxx

agreed Bouncer

Me as well! hehe
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Me and Shadow have had this debate on MSN many a time :biggrin:

Sometimes I say "I texted you earlier", other times I say "I text you earlier"... and we did indeed agree, as wise old marshlander says, it would be a lot easier to avoid the verb and use "i sent a text earlier" Wink