Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ts so nt kewl
This is what a co-worker sent me today
Quote:we dun 2,mit us @ wotafront
I know its not called short message service for nothing but come on,there are still principles that one should follow,right?I mean he could have easily written out the full message without it turning into 2 text messages.Sure,I can tolerate it when the teens do but 30+ years have no excuse,text technology is pretty new to that generation.Another thing that bothers me is that we share a professional relationship and therefore all communication should be on a professional level,right?What do you think?Am I right or do you think I am being an unreasonable douchbag.Many seem to think the latter...hehe.

Dont get me started, I cannot stand it when people use "u" inseard of you!!

TWO EXTRA LETTERS, text language is the downfall of society.
people even use it talking now, lol people actually say "lol" WHAT THE HELL!!!

Glad I am not the only person who texts in full prose, grammar, punctuation, etc.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

CardShark Wrote:Dont get me started, I cannot stand it when people use "u" inseard of you!!

TWO EXTRA LETTERS, text language is the downfall of society.
people even use it talking now, lol people actually say "lol" WHAT THE HELL!!!

That's how language evolves, sadly. I don't hear you despairing at the way that websites and search engines like google, bebo and facebook have become verbs in their own right, or the way people are slowly losing the ability to apostrophise, or the way double negatives are creeping their way into colloquial conversation...

Vulgar and unintelligent though they may be, there's not much that can be done. Which is a shame, as i'm not in any way disagreeing with you that it IS irritating as anything. Our language is becoming polluted.

And i sounded a little bit like a fascist dictator there...

There is no noun that can't be verbed (think about that one). There is nothing wrong with a double negative so long as a double negative what what was intended to be expressed, rather than a positive. I agree though about the apostrophe.

A linguistics professor explains that in most languages a double negative is a positive, but in a few it is still a negative, however in none is a double positive a negative. To which someone in the back row replies, "yeah, right".
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

You are right Rolleyes

OH so true.:confused:

fredv3b Wrote:Glad I am not the only person who texts in full prose, grammar, punctuation, etc.

Always

Xyxthumbs

hello dan i missed you.how are youConfusedmile:

I guess if communication was accomplished then all good BUT for me to get such a message would take a bit to grasp the message.I dont understand if it is laziness, ignorance or rudeness.

I honestly do not get the desire to have instantaneous communication at every second of your life which is bound to bring the degradation of a number of social rules.