Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vaping
Borg69 Wrote:Your car probably puts out more harmful fumes in 30 minutes than some guy vaping does in a year.

Quite true, but still consistent. Few people object to people vaping outdoors and driving cars outdoors. Many people object to vape exhaust or car exhaust indoors.

(So says Camfer, who lives in the country and avoids those polluted human feedlots called cities Dramaqueen .)

I only Googled it for a second, but...

Quote:a study by the German Cancer Research Center concluded: “Adverse health effects for third parties exposed cannot be excluded because the use of electronic cigarettes leads to emission of fine and ultrafine inhalable liquid particles, nicotine and cancer-causing substances into indoor air.”

Source: When e-smokers breathe out, what do we breathe in?

In any case, wouldn't a puff of vapor go up and be visible in front of the screen for people sitting behind him? I know a guy who vaped and he would blow these ginormous clouds. They are not transparent.

I've been going to the Alamo Drafthouse for movies lately. They do assigned seating and they are very strict about making sure everyone has a quiet and pleasant experience. They openly brag about how quickly they will throw you out if you make noise or use a cell phone... even just the light from it. Their employees are in the theater the whole time, serving food and such, and you can easily (and stealthily) report someone by using the same card you order with. I don't think they would let anyone blow scented vapors near their customers for even a moment, harmful or not.

Good to see you here, @JackBone. Thanks for the post.
I bid NO Trump!

mrex Wrote:yes, there is alot... and mostly people dont realize that it isnt just a water vapor with some nice flavor...

i have been working in a drug company developing drugs so i have been a bit concerned about this new e-cigarette culture and a long term effect.

for example:
"Comparison of electronic cigarette refill fluid cytotoxicity using embryonic and adult models"
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/art...3812002833

"Cherry-flavoured electronic cigarettes expose users to the inhalation irritant, benzaldehyde"
http://thorax.bmj.com/content/early/2016...5.abstract

"Cytotoxicity evaluation of electronic cigarette vapor extract on cultured mammalian fibroblasts (ClearStream-LIFE): comparison with tobacco cigarette smoke extract"
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.31...013.793439

passive vaping?

"Does e-cigarette consumption cause passive vaping?"
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.11...792.x/full

"Overall, the e-cigarette is a new source of VOCs and ultrafine/fine particles (*) in the indoor environment. Therefore, the question of ‘passive vaping’ can be answered in the affirmative. However, with regard to a health-related evaluation of e-cigarette consumption, the impact of vapor inhalation into the human lung should be of primary concern."

studies (so far) show low risk impact for passive smokers and low exposure realitive to tobacco but all authors say the same: we need more studies.

"Has the mist been peered through? Revisiting the building blocks of human health risk assessment for electronic cigarette use"
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1...15.1100064

(*)
- VOCs = volatile organic compounds
- fine particles is a "new" area that is studied more nowadays and how fine particles affects us and environment. for example diesel, that was kept as a good alternative for gasoline, is nowadays more in headlines because of fine particles in exhaust fumes and a remarkable problem considering our health.

What I'm reading from the results is, that e-cig is considerably less damaging that cigarette smoke, according to cytotoxicity assays. Or, that some results need further assessing.

I would agree that like most things these days, proper labeling will have to take place.

One question, how the concetrations used are related to what you'd get per e-cig? And nevermind people that do it, who are willingly aspiring the contents, how much of it can one passively inhale? (since it's the topic of the OP)

I remember reading a few papers that were inconclusive about aspartame or they detected some effects, but all of those were observed at concetrations far higher that the daily recommended dosis.

Another question, other than the mentioned (slow-acting might I add) benzaldehyde in one flavor, what else is being inhaled and how much of it? Has anyone done a GC-MS on the extract, for instance? That would instantly fingerprint many volatile subtances.

Knowing exactly what's there and how much of it is there is key I think.

Right now, for instance, I'm sure I passively inhale more of more harmful substances simply by pollution, regular smokers and at work (DMF, Methanol, DCM, you name it) than I would do from an e-cig.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

yes, you get much less chemicals when smoking e-cig, but it doesnt mean that it is anyway safety as so many people think - "just water and some flavours, cant be harmful." unfortunately this isnt the case like the study of the cherry flavored e-cig shows - eating vs. inhalating.

i have no idea, havent really gone deep into the subject, but i could quess that passive smoking isnt something i should be afraid at all if there is just a random dude smoking e-cig around me.