Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
voice
I'm a little confused about why gay men have a voice that registers them as gay. It's not exactly a lisp, and it's not feminine necessarily, but there is a sound to it and I'm just wondering where it comes from. I'm not being sarcastic or derogatory at all. It's kind of an accent though and I just wonder why. I hoping for honest and frank answers is all because I mean no disrespect. I know a gay man, and I was just curious.

straight men have the same voice i think ,so i doubt it

Do they? Not in my experience.

The only time I heard gay men talking differently than straight men was in "funny" movies.

Absolute rubbish, up there with the limp wrist bullshit. Stereotypical rot.

Well, if you ask a straight guy, then there wouldnt be any difference. But, as we can actaully make out the difference between a straight or a gay male, there seems to be a difference in the voice too, when in fact there is none, not at least in the voice.

I was at the consignment shop yesterday; over herd some four guys talking about junk. It just sounded less threatening.

If your on about the campness thats mostly an act yet some people do find it a proper moment of their time... I think this voice is what you coul;d be referring to

leslie Wrote:I'm a little confused about why gay men have a voice that registers them as gay. It's not exactly a lisp, and it's not feminine necessarily, but there is a sound to it and I'm just wondering where it comes from. I'm not being sarcastic or derogatory at all. It's kind of an accent though and I just wonder why. I hoping for honest and frank answers is all because I mean no disrespect. I know a gay man, and I was just curious.

No, not all gays carry that kind of voice. That is just a myth.

Gay men are heavily stereotyped and hmm, commercialized. We are all portrayed to be fabulously fashionable, loaded with money, only hang with girls and more. Whilst there are gays that can fit into that group, not all gay men are like that. We are all individuals.

I don't carry that type of voice myself. All my friends can verify that.

Jay Wrote:No, not all gays carry that kind of voice. That is just a myth.

Gay men are heavily stereotyped and hmm, commercialized. We are all portrayed to be fabulously fashionable, loaded with money, only hang with girls and more. Whilst there are gays that can fit into that group, not all gay men are like that. We are all individuals.

I don't carry that type of voice myself. All my friends can verify that.

Agree :3 .

I was raised by women, grew up in a family that's dominated by women and mostly had girls for friends growing up, but that's a coincedence on my part. Despite this, I'm no good at fashion (though I can co-ordinate an outfit :p ), I don't like to gossip really(okay, a tiny bit >.> ) and I don't walk around with a purse or wear make-up.

I'll admit I have a "feminine" way of talking if you will, but that's just because I've been talking that way since young, growing up around females and all. I didn't realize this, until someone video taped me talking to a crowd in Florida(had to introduce ourselves). I was like, "wahh?":confused: lol. Never realized that's how I talked, because it was just so normal for me, I couldn't change it if I tried now.

Mind you, it's not over dramatic like in the movies/t.v shows. More like Tim Gun the fasion designer, only not so deep :p .

In my case, it just so happened that I wasn't exposed to much male on male interaction, aside from my uncle, so I didn't develop the "normal" way of talking. Plus with our accent, everything sounds dramatic, cause it's like a mix of British/American/Carribean Biggrinflip .