Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
voice
Lol must be an American thing.

I have to say some gay guys do have this stereotypic voice but I am not one of them haha, saying that some straight people have this voice too. Not all gay guys act camp it's just a stereotype, I know plenty of camp straight people too, but really I have no idea how this stereotype has arisen.

QueenOdi Wrote:Blue for you Biggrinflip .

I'm not arguing with you, but just giving my insight. I feel like both sides of what you're saying affect me alittle, as I am both gay and black(or half black, Rolleyes ). I agree with you mostly, just not so much on the black things, because black history is so much more complex then that. I don't even know half of everything in my own history, because it wasn't taught to us, other than for that one year.

I know more about my Italian/White roots than I do my own Black ones, but I know enough to know that Black people don't want to come off as "Ghetto" or unintelligeble, but it's what they were left with after slavery, during it too. Now that's how they view themselves, because that's all they were ever told they were/will ever be.

Still. Not arguing with you, but now I've piqued my own interest lol.
Kiss3

Hmm. I use the word ghetto in its earliest sense - as in district of like minded individuals. It is a colloquialism I picked up. I still use it like this even though people think I'm talking about Watts or Harlem :biggrin:

Yes its what they have, then owned it - like they owned the N word and use it with each other often, just like us gays use the word gay, many use fag and queer - its owning our 'bad thing' and using it to show we are not owned by it. Its something that people do - some psychological need to regain power of a thing. A control issue. Wink

At 45 years of age I come from another time - before 'Black History Month' was a well known event, before public schools taught any black history. Back in the south I went to a segregated school that still had the ten commandments screwed to the walls of every class room. The principle had the Board of Education, applying it to the seat of learning on the more malcontent students....

By High School desegregation had taken place, the spots on the walls where the ten commandments had hung were lighter patches of paint with screw holes.

You grew up in a totally different world than I did. In a good way - well mostly :tongue:

matty7 Wrote:my voice is deep and pretty rough with my local accent so you wouldnt guess i was gay - i do know what u mean though,,,i think the tv over plays this camp gay accent as if were all into flower arranging and been drama queens...nothing is further from the truth in my respect but yes i do here it when im out,

Yorkshire accents broadly i cant understand as im tone deaf lol cant even work out me bf and his from the midlands lol leciester

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Hmm. I use the word ghetto in its earliest sense - as in district of like minded individuals. It is a colloquialism I picked up. I still use it like this even though people think I'm talking about Watts or Harlem :biggrin:

Yes its what they have, then owned it - like they owned the N word and use it with each other often, just like us gays use the word gay, many use fag and queer - its owning our 'bad thing' and using it to show we are not owned by it. Its something that people do - some psychological need to regain power of a thing. A control issue. Wink

At 45 years of age I come from another time - before 'Black History Month' was a well known event, before public schools taught any black history. Back in the south I went to a segregated school that still had the ten commandments screwed to the walls of every class room. The principle had the Board of Education, applying it to the seat of learning on the more malcontent students....

By High School desegregation had taken place, the spots on the walls where the ten commandments had hung were lighter patches of paint with screw holes.

You grew up in a totally different world than I did. In a good way - well mostly :tongue:

ohhhh. I see. Wink , whenever something "black" pops up, I can get alittle defensive lol, no harm no foul :biggrin: .

Ironically enough, though I am half black, I can't say the N word, because i'm too light skinned Rolleyes people would get offended. I hate the word anyway, but just because of what it used to mean and how people use it now. No one calls me that, but when I was younger they would call me a Mulatto

Anywhos , back on topic :p .
~
Am I the only one here who talks "gay"? Hearts1 . I must be special Dazzler1. It's not completely my fault though, combined with my upbringing, our accent plays it's part. Look at this funny site I found on how we talk, it's actually pretty accurate.(Though not for every one, mostly the Bermudians born here :p)

Bermewjan Vurds
I know the words will be hard to pronounce, but imagine a british/american/carribean accent attached to them. Americans say we sound British and the British say we sound American. Rolleyes .
~
An example(But people on Tv always make their accents "proper"):

dwatt Wrote:I am gay and know exactly what your talking about more then half the dudes I know have that
Speech style. But what I find amusing about it is that when they get drunk it seems to vanish a bit or all together. I asked a few why they choose to talk that way and their response was that it's the "gay" way. I find it a turn off. Talk like a man!! Even if your voice is naturally a bit higher pitched.

Yes the ones I know who self-identify as gay have this voice and it's true. I guess it depends on whom you hang out with just like any speech pattern. But there is an "accent" for lack of a better term and it is way there. That's just about #1 on the gaydar as a matter of factSmile

OrphanPip Wrote:Culturally associated speech patterns arise across all boundaries of class, subculture, sexuality, or what have you. The problem with highlighting a "gay speech" as artificial is that it is no more a culturally constructed speech pattern than any other form of speech.

I have more respect for those who embrace campiness than the whiny crowd of insecure self-loathers who complain about camp gays ad nauseum.

I agree with you 100%...I don't have anything to add as you stated this perfectly.

Rainbowmum Wrote:My son certainly does not sound like that ,and trust me I have plenty of gay friends that don't either.
I think it is a matter of choice.

RUN FOR COVER RAINBOW MUMS GONNA EXPLODE lol Tongue