Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what do you (dis)like to receive as gifts?
just curious. most guys would probably be happy to get things like CDs, DVDs, watches, books, a bottle of expensive bourbon, etc. i have a buddy who likes it when people give him tools, pretty much anything in that category. all of that seems like something for everyone. i'm wondering about some specialty items that are maybe not as obvious as gifts, or maybe something intrinsic to your taste? do you have anything like that? or things you absolutely don't like receiving as gifts?

or maybe you have any stories to share of things you were given and loved/hated?

i for one don't care much for alcohol. i only drink when it's some major celebration and if i am in the type of company to drink with (close friends), other than that i don't care. i have a stack of bottles laying around from my birthdays that are all unopened. i often just end up giving them away.

and of things i'd love to get -- i'd love it if someone gave me a violin. i can't play the thing, but i wanted to learn to play when i was a kid. my mom wouldn't let me and that was that. i love the sound of it, it's the most beautiful music in the world. i'd just love to have a violin lying around in my house and sometimes ''play'' it, so to say. i might buy it someday, but it's not on my priority list. but it would definitely be this personal touch thing, that if i got it from someone, i'd love the gesture. one of the things i can think of.

Gift cards. I know, it's cheezy and impersonal and.... whatever. Most people who give gifts don't do personal anyway and I'd rather have a gift card than some BS trinket they picked up somewhere just so the could say they gave me something. I like giftcards. Especially gift cards for places I can use like the grocery store, costco, amazon, itunes, walmart, etc.

Jewelry. *Chuckles* But only from Gideon.

Thoughtful gifts. Something that I either didn't realize I needed but someone else did... or that you can just -tell- they put a lot of thought into it. It means a lot to me when the gift -means- something important. For example, one of my absolute -favorite- gifts I've gotten recently is a sealed jar filled with sand and shells Gideon collected for me while he was on vacation at Myrtle Beach. Love it. I love it because I know he didn't just grab a handful of shells and toss them in some sand in a jar, but took time picking them out and thinking of me while he did it.

Gimme more goddamn booze and money (for more booze)

I've always dreamed of having an organ, learning how to play it, I love its sounds. 2 days ago my best friend (or should I say the best brother I wish I had) gifted me an organ as my belated birthday gift. I was more than happy, totally speechless, when I opened its box I couldn't say anything but to hug him tight. This organ is so precious, and in return I'm going to play it at his next birthday party, until then I'll learn everything I need.

That was the only gift I truly received from the bottom of someone's heart. Other presents from other people to me, which are practically emotionless or even toxic include some money, a knife, a pair of gloves to cover from winter cold...

Last summer I gifted a friend a heavy fragrance on his birthday, and the next time we met I smelled it on his body, which pleased me a lot.

Something I'd like to receive as a mad present is a flamethrower... Yeah it would become easier for me to burn stuff I don't like or want to get rid of Flamethrower

But if there's something I hate to be gifted, it's any kind of clothing. Because if your presents for me are some shirts and/or shorts, or even boxers (worse), then you're likely to have them thrown back on your miserable face... Twak

I am suspicious of gifts. Unfortunately I can tick off a long list of individuals who tried to 'buy my love' and others that attached strings to gifts.

As any Trojan can attest, gifts can some with major (nasty) surprises:

[Image: Trojan_Horse.jpg]

When I know a gift is given without hidden surprises, or isn't a manipulation ploy, or doesn't have strings attached, I accept it graciously.

This is why I proudly display that hideous 'vaze' that one of the nieces gave me. She made it in high school first year of learning pottery.... It lists to one side, the walls are way too thick and it was painted with garish colors... As flawed as it is it reminds me of a time when she just thought of her Uncle whilst at school and decided to dedicate a project to me.

How do I know? Because etched into the clay under the base is 'To Uncle David'.

The whole 'its the thought that matters' does have a real importance to me.

I very rarely receive gifts. I am just grateful for the thought and attention when it happens.
I bid NO Trump!

My tastes are so damn particular and expensive that I also like gift cards so I can get the precise make and model I want. I'm the worst about clothing and accessories. My picky-ass self can shun something that most people would love because of some inconsequential little detail, like the points on a shirt collar are one mm too long, or the otherwise beautiful man-bag has a buckle instead of magnetic closure on the flap.

But I am such a softy for things from the heart. I'd have that horrible home-made pottery centered on the mantle. I guess I like getting tokens of love more than useful things.

I really love receiving personal drawings as gifts. It tells me that they just didn't go out to the store to buy something but really took their time to work on it and give it to me. I also love getting alcohol. I'm more interested in the bottle design than getting drunk. What I hate as gifts are expensive stuff, I just don't feel like people should spend so much money on gifts.

The ones I love are easy.....I love anything someone baked or made (assuming it is good)...and I love it when someone makes a donation in my name...or anonymous...to either St Jude or Boys Town......one takes care of sick children and one takes care of abused and neglected children....

I also have really liked it before when someone will find a piece to add to one of my collections though I never expect it and am always really surprised when it happens. I would really love it if someone gave me thisBow

[Image: boru.JPG]

What I don't like...just about everything else. I actually prefer no gifts......

TwisttheLeaf Wrote:Jewelry. *Chuckles* But only from Gideon.

Sounds like someone is hinting around Gideon. I wonder if he likes diamonds on his wedding ring or something a little less ostentatious? BUNNY

---------------------------

Gifts. Hmmmm...

I generally like art, which leaves the giver a wide range of choice. Music, movies, books, paintings, pottery, ceramics, crochet, knitting, sculpture, performance art...
Movies and music seem impersonal and yet even if I only watch them or hear them once, I have already been exposed to something new. And often I'll watch some movies, listen to some music, so often that the art becomes a part of me. It's the same for the rest... I like the creativity, the diversity, the idea that someone's imagination can directly influence my viewpoint while giving me insight how others see the world is a fab gift.
Some of the best gifts were tickets to see plays, concerts, musicals, etc. Watching live performance is one of the best gifts, because even if the words of the play, the chords of the music, words of the poem, the songs of the musical, are written, played, spoken or sung many times, each show is unique. No two live performances are ever the same. People who give me the gift of their time, the most precious thing humans possess, is a gift that humbles me.

I'm with Twist too. I like gift cards. If someone is going to get me something material it's always fun to pick out the thing you want the most.

I'm trying to think of a gift I hated and having a hard time remembering anything bad. Hell, I'm happy even if its just underwear or socks. On the days I don't go commando or wear sandals I need those too. Laugh