Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what would you do?
what would you do if you suffered from depression and your job pushes you to the point of becoming suicidal? I haven't been unemployed since I was 16 and I've hated my jobs ever since then. I just have a car payment to worry about and while other people tell me I can't quit when they were in the same situation they left. I'm just tired of crying every week and feeling like shit when I get off work. I don't need a job paying a ton of money, I just want to work with my hands.

I have dealt with depression and when I was 16 I tried to kill myself. You are not alone and I still get depressed sometimes. Best peice of advice that helped me was to talk to someone. Anyone that can help a friend, family member, a doctor what ever it takes.

You are worth it and dying is not the awnser at all. you are a special person and even though life might suck right now it does get better. Remember suicide is a permanate solution to a temporary problem. Also you can PM me anytime if you need a freind to talk to.

Where I live depression is an illness and there are benefits and compensation for it. But if this is not an option I'd be looking for a new job. But preserve thought it. Also go see a counsellor they help lot's

I had depression before, and I get depressed maybe quarter of the month for no reason. Either way, extreme depression does lead to suicidal feelings, and I've been there, done that. Hmm, what keeps me going no matter how depressed I am is usually because of my friends and family. I think it's just nice to find that someone in your life cares about you, find those people/person(doesn't matter), and talk to them.
Hmmm, job wise, you could try being a machinist if time and money allows it. Tool and dye technicians are always needed in the engineering field, even though the large part of the industries are automated, we still need people with ability to make things that are precise and beautiful. Tool and dyes get paid very well too.(or at least in Canada, they do) Couple of my friends are retired tool and dye, and they loved what they did. It's true that you can't leave your job, but maybe try saving. I mean, at the start, it might not be a lot at all, but there's a saying in Japan. Even dust will become mountain when piled up. So keep piling up your savings, see where that money could get you to. Maybe find a new job with that money. I have no idea what your resume is like, but if you need any help with resumes critiquing and maybe some job searching, I maybe able to help.

You are not alone if might feel like your the only one but your not, their are other people out there who know exactly how you feel, you just need to find somebody who will listen and be able to advise you. I have tried twice to seriously kill myself, the extreme distress does pass honest.
I've called the Samaritans before they offer an ear and let you talk, they don't judge or tell you what to do for UK or Ireland http://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-hel...contact-us there are other organisations around the world.
Please don't suffer in science

I lost count of the times I attempted suicide as a teen and early 20s. I wasn't depressed, I was just having a hard time and I was sad and I couldn't defend myself. These days under the extremely broad definition of depression I would have been on umpteen hundred drugs that would have fucked me up more than merely growing a pair of balls and living my life for me.

Not happy at your job? Chuck it in and find something you want to be doing. Make yourself happy without the happy pills, but counselling wouldn't hurt Wink

Fun fact!
Oats are a natural source of antidepressant.
Same with exercise. Oxygen in my brain is good!

I tried the suicide route. That didn't pan out too well. Mind my case was a bit complicated because I was misdiagnosed and thrown on new antidepressants (well they were new in 1994) which only made matters worse.

From my experiences I have learned that when I get too sad I get myself to a therapist first - not a person who throws pills at every issue, a therapist/counselor - psychologist (not the same thing as a psychiatrist).

You think your issue is job related - well that thought is something I strongly suggest you talk over with a therapist.

I suspect that the job really isn't the problem and that switching jobs, or being unemployed isn't going to fix your feelings. I suspect that, but I can't be certain because I don't know the details of your life, I don't know your history of situations and events that have formed you and I don't really know you enough to know how your mind ticks.

I am not an advocate of modern brain-shrinker techniques of psychiatrists. They listen to you for about 15 minutes then write a prescription and expect the pill to work magic. I'm not saying there isn't room for these drugs in treatment options, I'm saying that reliance only on these drugs never addresses the underlying causes and I know from personal experience they can actually make the situation far worse.

Hold on to your current job, find a therapist (you may need to try several before you find the one you are comfortable with to talk to) and allow the therapist to help you to figure out if prescription drug therapy is needed or would help.

thank you to everyone that replied, I have another confession to make though. I did attempt suicide years ago but I never tried to get help after that. whenever I think I'm over it, it comes back around again. I'm really going to seek help this time though, I just have a hard time talking about my feelings, it took me a while just to work up enough courage to make this anonymous post.

@Waylon777, machinist is one of the position that I've been applying for, it's with one of the largest employers in the area that everyone claims is always hiring but I'm eight applications in and keep getting turned down. I'll try to hold out a little longer but I'm tired of struggling, I don't have much fight left.