Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
whats scary to you?
Ok i have an issue with what some people class as a scary film. Like for me, i do not find aliens or monsters scary, entertaning yes but scary - not in the least! Granted if i came face to face with predator id probably pee myself but i know i want.

What scares me

People - "the strangers" "funny games" the hitcher"

Ghosts/poltergeists sometimes

Zombies no
Vampires no
Aliens no
Monsters no
Robots definetly not.

One of the genuinely most disturbing film i seen in recent years was "the unnamable" there is hardly any gore, blood, shocks ect but the suggestions and what you know is happening scares me

Likewise the hitcher terrified me, as did the shining and poltergeist. But some giant bug, no sir.

No fear here...

I do refrain from watching slashers, not because they scare me, but because the gratuitous use of gore and violence is just annoying. Besides the plots of those films are typically so thin you can see the first ten minutes and know who is going to be dead before the end of the film.

Horror with an occult theme, calling up on the dark side of craft - it does disturb me - but its not so much fear as it is flashbacks to ancient days in my past.

I'm the same way. Monsters don't bother me but if its full of human element ala Haute Tension or The Descent it definitely makes me uncomfortable. As for real life scares extreme heights or drop offs scare me. I also have a fear of trains that sucks because I live in WA and we are freaking full of them.

kokomoloko79 Wrote:I'm the same way. Monsters don't bother me but if its full of human element ala Haute Tension or The Descent it definitely makes me uncomfortable. As for real life scares extreme heights or drop offs scare me. I also have a fear of trains that sucks because I live in WA and we are freaking full of them.

Thanks Kokomoloko, I just saw in other thread for "scary" you put "life is beautiful" I agree any film on that "subject" is scary, it was true, that's why its so horrific! Though I do not think even film can attain to that true horror. I found "the grey zone" to be worse than "life is beautifull"

Oh im sorry, the singulaly most "scary" film i have seen is WWII russian film "come and see"

I dont say oh my god often, but OH MY GOD, i sort of wish id never seen it, it is so so powerful and haunting, and actually gave me a nightmare.

Oh i agree B.A, rituals and all that, worse for you though, thank lord we still have you in one piece. Smile

Dont like slasher movies, Si-Fi is ok and I love a good zombie movie.

But the scariest Ive seen for a while was 30 days of night. Now that is one scary vampire movie! The follow up was totally crap mind LoL

ObW
X

What scares me:

STUPID PEOPLE.
Politicians
Stupid people
Corporate CEO's
Stupid people
People who dont blink
Stupid people

I think the only movie to really scare me was American Werewolf in London.
It was the first "big" movie to use animatronics for special effects.
Scared me shitless.
Im sure now it would be a laugh riot, but back then, it made me SKEEERD!

I dont like all monster movies, as a lot of monsters are just SO DAMN FUNNY!
That Cloverfield movie was SUCH a waste of time AND film.

And the film they billed as "the scariest movie ever made".....The Ring.....
well, Im STILL waiting for the scary part!!!

I watched way too many horror movies as a kid so they never scare me anymore. Except for the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre...

Situations that can't be solved by logic frighten me. If my brain can't work out a rational way to explain what's happening I'll get frightened. That's why my twisted nightmares of loved ones trying to kill me for no other reason than amusement get to me so much :o

Real life can scare me. Movies, not so much.

OlderButWiser Wrote:Dont like slasher movies, Si-Fi is ok and I love a good zombie movie.

But the scariest Ive seen for a while was 30 days of night. Now that is one scary vampire movie! The follow up was totally crap mind LoL

ObW
X

This is where i disagree, even though 30 days of night is a brilliant film, I really do like that film, I don't find it scary. And yes the sequel was a mis carriage of justice lol