Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
will there be less war if we find an alt to oil ?
browsing youtube vids and found a bunch of anti war songs from the 60s/70s mainly about Vietnam and made me think that most wars now are oil based..i would love to be blinkered and say we have gone into whatever country to save the people but that's a load of crap - its to keep the oil flowing......got me thinking that would the world have less wars if we did have an alternative fuel ?

but then what happens to the country's that are either rich from oil or a country thats only asset is oil ?,

certainly not like me to even attempt anything like a political thread as I avoid them like the plague , the question I posed myself got me thinking so I came here to the see what the brains of GS think

It is more probable that ther next war over a liquid will not be over oiul but water. Man could survive without electricity and without gas but life without water is impossible. Millions and millions of people in the Third Wold have no access to clean drinking water while those of us living in the First World wash ourselved with drinking water, flush our lavatories with drinking water and all the time, the First World continues to rape and pillage the Earth ignoring the consequences of droughts and pollution. Once man has finished and there is nothing more to extract, man will die. Nature might possibly recover but given the pollution that man will leave behind, it will probably be in a differnt for to that which we know now.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Good Lord, what else is there to be depressed and miserable about?
I bid NO Trump!

There will always be war because people who want power and control are never satisfied and if they need a war to advance their interests they will do so.

...and then you have people who think they are doing "God's Work"......

When exactly did oil become a viable commodity? Late 19th century/Early 20th Century.

Where not humans studying the art of war for a few years before that?

List of Wars: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Li...rs_by_date

It pretty much works out that as soon as man started making settlements wars broke out, and on a global setting we are hard pressed to find a single day where a war wasn't being fought somewhere on earth.

If its not oil humans fight over its gold, if its not gold they are fighting over its some other resource. But then humans don't fight just over resources, they fight over religion, and philosophy and for land and just for the sake of just making a mess of things.

If the rumors are true about the Trojan War, then humans even fight for love.... Seriously the whole myth that someone wanted to marry some woman so badly that it escalated into thousands dying, and a city being brought to its knees - no one mentioned all the rape pillaging - all for one woman? Madness I tell you - just madness.

The only thing oil did was make war more efficient and take it to the skies, making it possible for more nations to get into these tiffs and make what we call 'World Wars'.

If oil was the real issue, then the USA wouldn't be involved in the Middle East as a war effort. Why? Because the USA gets its oil from:

[Image: gr-oilprod-300.gif]

If the US was really intent on getting more oil then logic would dictate to attack Canada or Latin America - you know places that are closer.

Who gets the most oil from the Middle East? Europe and China.

Does the USA even need this much oil from outside? No. We still have untapped reserves of good oil around the nation. http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/0...blogs&_r=0

I heard it once said that California can produce nearly double the oil it no produces just by opening up of shore drilling.

California is pumping about 20% of the nations oil. It has about 10% of the nations population. And that is active oil wells. This doesn't include the offshore oil or the shale oils.

Yet nearly half the gasoline Californian's use is from oil from Alaska, and South America.... We do not need to turn to any outside source of oil, we already produce twice (at least) the oil we need here here in this state.

Few Americans know that the USA actually has a lot more oil than the politicians like to talk about. For instance no one talks about the oil fields of Colorado.... What Colorado has oil?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/busi...s/2613497/

"Kern County still accounts for 10 percent of U.S. domestic oil production."

What?

[Image: ca_map_counties2.jpg]

Kern County is just above Los Angles County.

That whole region of southern California has its landscape dotted with oil pumps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Joaquin...#Petroleum Makes for a short interesting read about oil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midway-Sunset_Oil_Field has a nifty map of known reserves (on shore only).

This is just California. No one talks about the Colorado oil Reserves

or Montana's: http://www.mtpioneer.com/archive-July-oil-reserves.htm

Well there is a lot more: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Unt...in+the+USA

My Point, war for oil, at least for the USA's involvement in the Middle East does not actually exist. There is no real need.

The USA's involvement profits the USA nothing when it comes to oil. We most likely expend more oil in teh production of military hardware and sending it over to bomb places like Iraq into the stone age (Then all of the bombing for decades to keep it in the stone age).

Oil is not the problem. People are.

Yeah there are wars about oil. And about which Holy land is whose. Probably soon there will be a war between the have and have nots. If nothing else you know Kanye West is always bitching about something.

Even if the oil crisis is solved, and religious land disputes are resolved, and over population, water shortage, food shortage, and Kim Kardashian never runs out of craptacular men to dump for farting wrong, where will probably always be war.

Man's inhumanity toward man is the nature of our species. Peace and contentment are almost always what people dream about wanting most in the world. In the whole history of the whole history I don't think we didn't have some manner of war, even when we were monkeys.

Quote:
Many and sharp the num'rous ills
Inwoven with our frame!
More pointed still we make ourselves
Regret, remorse, and shame!
And Man, whose heav'n-erected face
The smiles of love adorn,
Man's inhumanity to man
Makes countless thousands mourn!

--------------Robert Burns

Sorry for the downer. Sad