Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
yeia sas
ti kaneis? milais ellenika? (looks and sounds better if I could get the Greek font).
I can speak a little, but I welcome anyone who can speak better than me. But hit me up if you also have any questions in Ancient Greek too.

I've been getting some basic Greek training from our beloved Spotysocks Bighug (thanks babe), but yeah ! The more the merrier !!

Yasoo XRIMO ! Ime kala, efxaristo - ti kanis ?

x

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

Γεία σας! :biggrin:
thats what Xrimo said in greek characters.

Τι κάνετε? = How are you (plural)

Πάμε για σουβλάκι? Yum! haha

this is going to be fun! i give Greek lessons for a reasonable price...£20 p/h? JK! Talker
You know... i dont speak a word of ancient Greek although i learned it a t school :redface:

Is Ancient Greek massively different from Modern-Day Greek then ? Stupid question I guess, as the answer is sure to be YES, but ... HOW different is it ? Can anybody give an example ?? Confusedmile:.

Ta xx

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

Yes its different but still not miles away i think although i wont understand a lot if someones talks to me in Ancient Greek.
From Ancient Greek we got Classic Greek (kathareuousa/καθαρεύουσαWink which is closer to Modern Greek what we talk now and still use it at some level when we talk in a formal way.

If Xrimo could translate something from English to Ancient Greek i could translated in Modern Greek so you see the difference. Talker

Sweet !!!!!

Ok then, XRIMO, can you say something in Ancient Greek and give us an English translation of what it is ? And then Spotysocks can do the modernisation on it :biggrin:.

Cheers boys - this is REALLY interesting - I love these new boards !! :biggrin:.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

Okay, but I don't have a Greek font, so I hope this makes sense:

pros to astu speusomen kai tous chorous theasometha.

We will hurry to the city and we will watch the dances.

*Note, Ancient Greek is pronounce as it sounds instead of Modern Greek where many of the vowels become 'i' sounds. So the 'u' in astu is an upsilon and not the 'ou' dipthong.
Also I got this sentence out of my Ancient Greek textbook (Athenaze). It is hard trying to come up with a good sentence that can be translated with some ease into english, then into modern Greek.

I sympathise babe (that's why I didn't ask you to translate something I'd come up with, as "I'm just nipping out to the shops - anybody fancy a cuppa char" is PROBABLY a bit of a tall ask for the Ancients :biggrinSmile.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

XRIMO Wrote:Okay, but I don't have a Greek font, so I hope this makes sense:

pros to astu speusomen kai tous chorous theasometha.

We will hurry to the city and we will watch the dances.

*Note, Ancient Greek is pronounce as it sounds instead of Modern Greek where many of the vowels become 'i' sounds. So the 'u' in astu is an upsilon and not the 'ou' dipthong.
Also I got this sentence out of my Ancient Greek textbook (Athenaze). It is hard trying to come up with a good sentence that can be translated with some ease into english, then into modern Greek.

Very nice Biggrinflip

I actually understand what you said in ancient Greek there, if you say that in Greece today people will understand. All the words above exist in modern Greek perhaps not 'theasometha' but it's understandable.

Let me think how to say this in more current Greek:
θα πάμε στήν πόλη και θα δούμε τους χορούς.

Tha pame ......stin poli ............kai tha doume .... tous chorous.
(Speusoume ... pros to asty .... kai theasometha ...tous chorous)

The words and the grammar have changed a little.
'Tha speusoume stin Poli' is also spoken, especially from the Cypriots i think.

That's it !

I HAVE to learn Greek - it's that simple ...

Greek ROCKS !!!!! :biggrin:.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!