Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting Facebook conversation...
Started by me sharing this...

[Image: tumblr_m4crwy0wyJ1rqx4rvo1_1280.jpg]

Went on like this...

Jake - I agree with the above picture. They say they are born that way. Then who's to say pedophiles are born that way? That isn't natural, however it could be considered more natural that homosexuality, at least its still a male and a female.

Jason - Jake, the majority of pedophiles pray on same sex children, because it is easier to assume a position of power over them. Just thought I would aware you. Not to mention, neither dogs, ice cream or children are CONSENTING ADULTS capable of entering into LEGAL CONTRACTS. *facepalm*

Jake - I don't know much about pedophiles so sorry for the ignorance. Where do you draw the line though? If we let everything go simply because they are "born that way" then where do we stop?

Austin - I think the key word there was "ADULTS"...

Jason -
You stop where it effects people out of their control. If all parties are not consenting adults, it doesn't fly. It is really a ridiculous subject as-is, because all the parties involved are asking for is the ability to enter into a legally
binding contract, which is a fair argument. As far as that goes, polygamy should also be legal. The only thing laws preventing the two do is prevent narrow-minded bigots from getting their panties in a bunch because someone isn't conforming to their beliefs. You don't see SSM/Polygamy advocates seeking the elimination of traditional marriage.

Jason - I have to ask Jake, is it the word "marriage" that sets you off and makes you not want it to exist?

Jake -
I don't care if people want to be gay. I have no problem with how someone else lives their life as long as it doesn't effect mine or others negatively. I have no issue whatsoever with a legal union, or civil union as the term may be. Cal
ling it marriage though is what I don't agree with. Marriage was originally a RELIGIOUS ceremony, the union of a man and a woman under God. Don't believe in God? That's fine. Just don't look down on those of us that do, and stop trying to call a homosexual union a marriage. Yes I know that there are joke's of marriages, like many that last a few weeks or even shorter, however don't even bring that up because it is not the topic at hand, and i completely disagree with that as well.

Jason - So it is the term "marriage" that sets you off? If civil union were to receive all of the benefits and responsibilities that a legal marriage does in the US, would you have a problem with it?

Jake - Nope, I would not have a problem with it at all. Its the term "marriage" that gets me. Call it a civil union and live happily ever after with your.... mate.

Jason - Ok then, why can't the United States follow... I want to say an Australian state, and coin a new term for it? (It was in a different language, but it roughly translated to "love marriage")

Jake - We already have a term, civil union.

Jason - So have all states and the fed recognize them and give them the same rights and responsibilities as people who are married? And then on the federal tax returns, have the check box say "married/civil union" instead of just "married"?

Jake - Id be fine with that.

Jason - Good. Now if we can just reach a similar conclusion with your peers...

Jake -
That would be awesome. Unfortunately many are so close-minded that they still feel homosexuality should be outlawed. Part of christianity is accepting others as they are and not judging them for their sins. That isn't our place to judge.
I don't care if you are religious or not, judging others actions (besides big things like murder, theft, etc. that clearly effect other people) is not our place. If what you are doing isn't harming or effecting others' lives and has no possibility of such, then don't worry about it. I like ford, someone else might not like that, but fuck it, doesn't effect them so besides stating their opinion, they have no right to go any further. Same goes for your sexual preference. We both know someone who is gay. Do I agree with it? No. Does it bother me? As long as he or any others like him don't try to get funky with me, no. Does it effect my life in any way, shape or form? Not a bit. Therefore I don't worry about it. I've had friends that are gay. I work with some gay people. I talk to them and treat them exactly the same as any other person.

Jason - Well I applaud you Jake. That is probably the best practical application of "Christian" (not sure if you classify yourself as-such so if not I apologize) thought that I have seen from anyone. Period.

I'm Jason if that wasn't obvious. Austin is my boyfriend. lol. Just thought I would share...

It's amazing how semantics have to play such a huge role in the otherwise obvious (or what you'd think was obvious). But good on Jake for being decently well spoken.

(Hope I'm making sense in my sleepy Hoosier self who just woke up.)

GossamerMoon Wrote:It's amazing how semantics have to play such a huge role in the otherwise obvious (or what you'd think was obvious). But good on Jake for being decently well spoken.

(Hope I'm making sense in my sleepy Hoosier self who just woke up.)

Yeah, I wonder how many other anti-"gay marriage" folks are hung up just because the word "marriage" is used...

Buffylo Wrote:Yeah, I wonder how many other anti-"gay marriage" folks are hung up just because the word "marriage" is used...

I would say 99.9999999999%! But that's just my best guess! Smile

archubbycub Wrote:I would say 99.9999999999%! But that's just my best guess! Smile

Well you know that there are a good portion out there that believe that homosexuality should be criminalized :eek:

I just wonder what percentage it is. Maybe we should just change the way we approach the subject. I mean, what is more important to us, equal rights, or calling it "marriage"? Maybe conceding over something so trivial as a freaking word could push us over that hump.

For me, a rose by any other name is still a rose, and I'm much more concerned about equality and the practical points far more than a label (especially in our age of spin where words are regularly twisted to mean things other than what's being communicated about).

That said, it's so sad and pathetic that they just can't get over the word "marriage" as if Christians had it copyrighted and it just "bothers" them that someone else uses it (I hear there are also Christians upset that non-Christians celebrate Christmas and Easter, too, even the pagans who actually have more cause to celebrate it than the Christians Rolleyes ). You know, I think if religion were a product that you snorted or shot up instead of a belief you held to (even when it made no sense) that it would be illegal like many other drugs that make people stupid and belligerent. Not that I'm advocating the prohibition of either drugs or religion (and lots of decent people manage to function on one or both), just saying...

Quote:That said, it's so sad and pathetic that they just can't get over the word "marriage" as if Christians had it copyrighted and it just "bothers" them that someone else uses it (I hear there are also Christians upset that non-Christians celebrate Christmas and Easter, too, even the pagans who actually have more cause to celebrate it than the Christians ).

Pretty much. But watch how offended they get when you tell them the "Christmas" tree is a Yule tradition, Jesus's presumed birthday was in the summer, or remind them the the only reason certain Church holidays fall when they do is because of Pagan calendar. Let us not even mention Beltane...

Why is it that it's okay bash gays, pagans, and anyone else but then turn around and cry foul if anyone from these groups tries to politely (or not so politely) correct them?

Makes me think of the "free block party" thrown in my neighborhood a couple weeks ago. In their ads, they didn't once mention they were a Christian "outreach" group. An outreach group that hushed everyone for their "human drama" of Jesus in chains (as portrayed by a teen wearing 40lbs of chains) and followed by an impassioned sermon about how family is under attack...

//stopping rant before it gets big time

hmm...very informative. Thanks for sharing. This is a good example of what a real discussion should be like: civil and to the point Smile
though it goes a bit into the legal definition of "marriage", which I'm not familiar with. I like how it ended amicably with both sides basically nodding "yes i agree to disagree with you" :biggrin:

wow, i didn't know that Christians/Jews were the first one's to come up with marriage Rolleyes

jaxc Wrote:wow, i didn't know that Christians/Jews were the first one's to come up with marriage Rolleyes

If letting them think that will get us equal rights, I'm willing to let them live with that delusion.