Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay Prudes?
Are there many gay prudes?

One of the stereotypes is that if you're gay, then you are quite obviously going to love flamboyance. Because we all know "the gays" don't know how to behave in proper society. (read heavy sarcasm here!)

Well, it seems to me that being gay doesn't make it impossible for someone to be a prude. Or does it? I'm leaving this topic open-ended just to see where it goes. Now: Discuss!

*I submit this thread in the interest of spurring fresh discussion. Someone (Pellaz?) mentioned that there isn't enough topic diversity.*

Honestly, yeah, I feel prudish in certain ways.

I can be quite old fashioned.

But that doesn't mean I'm made out of wood. I'm quite affectionate, very romantic, I love sex. I think I'm quite adventurous and creative.

But the prude in me says there's a time and a place for all of that and I get uncomfortable when I think things are "inappropriate".

Just my perspective.

In my book, that's a little prude-ish, not all out prude. It's how I usually roll, too. Smile

I guess I'm thinking of someone who frowns on dirty jokes (when not around kids), for example. I'm totally blanking on good examples, though! LOL

Hey, I used to live near Chicago!

Well, I drink and cuss and tell jokes...

:biggrin:

But I guess when I'm in a group I maintain a certain "decorum". It's only when I let "my hair down" (which is damn near impossible since I'm bald) in intimate company when I really cut loose.

You know what they say...watch out for the quiet ones.

:tongue:

P.S. I'm renting a studio downtown Chicago. Actually in the middle of a move. Hope to be full time SOON!

No, being gay doesn't preclude any other personality aspect any more than it precludes any spiritual beliefs, behaviors, or anything else. There are all types of gay people just as there are in any fairly large group of people.

I think that perhaps there are fewer prudish people in the LGBT community (percentage wise) than is society in general, but they are here. Maybe not as outspoken about it among other LGBT people, but still among us.

I've only known one such individual, he happened to be a pastor in the Unitarian church, but he was very much a prude.

Gay Prudes? Do they exist? Hell Yes!:biggrin:

Of course...we have to define what a prude is for each of us because I am sure what we think of as "prudish" varies....

A prude to me is someone who dampens the spirit of everyone around them by trying to control what other people do and how they behave....

If you are a bartender in a gay bar and you are trying to create a great atmosphere these types of prudes are a real killer....

I always did something to make it seem like it was their idea...not mine...to get rid of them. Usually I would just scratch my ass and then extend my hand to "greet" them and it did the trick 90% of the time. Sometimes I had to burp or if I was lucky enough to have gas...fart. They really hate that. :biggrin:

One of the worst things you can do with me is to start telling me what is wrong with "other people" because of the way they look or what they are wearing...this is usually a hallmark of a prude...and I am not really compatible with that type of person.

Prudes that only worry about their own behavior and don't force it on or judge others are OK...I knew a few of those....they can be funny. :biggrin:

East Wrote:Gay Prudes? Do they exist? Hell Yes!:biggrin:

Of course...we have to define what a prude is for each of us because I am sure what we think of as "prudish" varies....

A prude to me is someone who dampens the spirit of everyone around them by trying to control what other people do and how they behave....

If you are a bartender in a gay bar and you are trying to create a great atmosphere these types of prudes are a real killer....

I always did something to make it seem like it was their idea...not mine...to get rid of them. Usually I would just scratch my ass and then extend my hand to "greet" them and it did the trick 90% of the time. Sometimes I had to burp or if I was lucky enough to have gas...fart. They really hate that. :biggrin:

One of the worst things you can do with me is to start telling me what is wrong with "other people" because of the way they look or what they are wearing...this is usually a hallmark of a prude...and I am not really compatible with that type of person.

Prudes that only worry about their own behavior and don't force it on or judge others are OK...I knew a few of those....they can be funny. :biggrin:

I HATE bodily noises.
I don't even fart in front of my BF.
Cool

LateBloomer Wrote:I HATE bodily noises.
I don't even fart in front of my BF.
Cool

LOL...I wouldnt' normally fart in front of anyone but the best part about farting in front of the prudes at the bar (whenever you happen to have gas) is to ANNOUNCE you farted since the music is so loud it is hard to hear anyway:biggrin:

We had one bartender who use to light his on fire:eek: That was funny as hell (and a tad bizarre:biggrinSmile.

Hmm...don't know if you would consider my ways prudish...but here's some of my thoughts on things of that nature.

I don't mind PDA's (public displays of affection) but when I see two people basically making out in public, rutting like a couple of dogs in heat, it makes me VERY uncomfortable.

I know one of the "gay stereotypes" is excessive promiscuity, and that is nothing like myself. I do enjoy sex, but I am also a firm believer in monogamy. I don't do open relationships, friends with benefits or anything like that. I HATE cheaters and liars with a burning passion and will cut people like that out of my life entirely if I find out they are dishonest and shady.

I can get slightly uncomfortable discussing sex with friends (especially my straight friends) but won't necessarily shy away from the subject either.

As for more social aspects of prudishness...not so much for me. I smoke like a chimney, drink occasionally, smoke weed occasionally and am very social/friendly with people.

My sense of humor may seem a little prudish to some. I hate "fart jokes" and childish things like that...and I don't do the whole "racial jokes/ethnic jokes/gay jokes" angle either...most of those I find uncalled for.

So yeah, me in a very small nutshell. Prudish? I don't particularly think so, but its your thread, you be the judge Confusedmile:

^ Wintermoon, you said it all for me - I'm pretty much the same.