Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting things in your family's history
Well I just had a bit of an exposition on my mother's youth in communist-ruled Shanghai.

Mum read all these illegal books that her neighbour got her from looting the homes of people he lynched. She made the cultural revolution sound like a game to her everyone else just killing teachers and she was at home copying down illegal books like a boss. :3 Reminds me of Fahrenheit 451

The only sad part of her description of her past was when Grandma's qipao (chinese dress) and pretty shoes got ripped up Sad

Then she was part of the 1980s student protests until her father learnt that 3 students from OUT OF TOWN got shot at the train station.

Years later she moved to Hong Kong to give birth to me so that I could get a UK passport and not be chinese o.o

Anyome else got fun family stories?

Wow, that's pretty hard to beat, so I won't try!

All I got is that we're supposedly related to Sam Clemens. Considering the huge number of natural story tellers in my family, I'll say it's a good possibility. I also come from a line of intuitive/healer/medium types, but forbid you actively seek to use any of it! Wink

Nothing really spectacular in my history, just that one of my direct ancestors was Toussaint Charbonneau, who of course was married to Sacajawea of Lewis and Clark expedition fame. Of course Jean Baptiste Charbonneau too (Toussaint was his father).

I'm related to Edward I and therefore related to a bunch of other kings and queens down the line.
I always thought that was kinda cool~

I guess it's were all my French and English blood comes from.

My great great grand father who emigrated from UK as a 3 year old with his family grew up to become Australia's first ever World Champian at any sport, Sculling. He also holds a world record for the number of world championships, of which he won 7 against the giants of the sport back then and retired undefeated.

My great great grandfather's name was Bill 'Blue' Beach. 'Blue' is an aussie nick name that is given to people who have red hair Smile

I'm related to Queen Mary of Scots in a long, drawn out line. I'm part royal you see!

Well only half of me, the other half is Irish Peasant...

Nothing of note in recent family history.

Well we won't discuss just how my line got from a French noble family to marrying Native Americans. I think the fiction version written by John Jakes is enough of that.

My Great Grandmother on my Mom's side ran a whore house in New Orleans at the turn of the century and my Grandmother was bi racial as my Great Grandmother was black and my Grandmother was very light skinned. She was shunned by both black people and white people for being bi-racial and eventually tried to tell people she was Indian. When she died my Grandfather was freaked out and confided in me that they were never married and to never tell my mom...interracial marriage was illegal back then.

She jumped a train with three white brothers who had been orphaned after their parents died and she became "Sis" and she ended up in Washington where she was a "maid" wink wink in a whore house where my mother was born.

The nice preacher who came to "help" my Grandmother overcome her "life of sin" raped my mother from the ages of 9-12 and when he was caught she was deemed responsible for what he did because she had the devil in her (and I and every man thereafter in her life paid dearly for it so when I say I hate religion I really mean it) She should have had an abortion and would have had it been legal as she was very f*cked up from years of abuse.

This is just a very small part of it but my deep seated belief in equality and social justice comes to me from my experience.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:I'm related to Queen Mary of Scots in a long, drawn out line. I'm part royal you see!

The current Queen Elizabeth II can trace her ancestry back to Mary Stuart too. I have a sneaky feeling my ancestors on one side were Catholic supporters of Mary during the Protestant Reformation. I'm still digging up those proverbial skeletons in the closet though... Wink

I have a detailed family genealogy on my father's side that goes back to the 17th century. The only remarkable thing is that apparently they got tired of marrying their cousins in Scotland so an entire generation relocated to Canada and then proceeded to continue and marry their cousins in the New World.