Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only Human
For anyone who doesn't know me and my firm beliefs (which I doubt there are any of you who DON'T at this point), I am an atheist and I believe in rights, not only for gays, but for each person who is being denied them. I have been told by some friends that come across as "arrogant, pushy, and a know-it-all." Is this true? I may be this way, but I'm only doing so, because I used to get walked on, before I was like this. At this point, I would rather fight. I might be a "know-it-all," but I'm 17, so what? What is so wrong with giving society a piece of my mind? :mad:

I have no issue with people having opinions and they should stand up for their beliefs. however, it does annoy me when someone tries to force their views on me with a flase sense of superiority - by the way this is in no way an atatck on yourself or anyone else. Maybe going to a strongly christian school whilst being sort of agnostic I got a bit sick of hearing people tell me I was going to hell so that probably shaped my views on people preaching any sort of opinion on me!

Not everybody is going to listen, Trust me it has nothing to do with your age.

People are sometimes ignorant and we all have to accept that not everything we say is going to get through to everybody.

You're young, but in some ways mature beyond your years. Most 17 year olds have not yet gotten to the point of really standing up for themselves and, others. They don't have a firm ideal of what we as humans should be, still have blinders on as to the reality of human nature and so on...

They lack the internal strength the stand up for what they believe if that means it might hurt or be inconvenient, or loose them friends. To them not giving in is the same as being pushy and arrogant.

Now if you harp on it all when they don't want to hear it, that is being pushy, but if you simply live it and act on it without trying to get them involved, it's just being self confident and self assured, and that's good.

Take a hard look at yourself and what you are doing, then decide if you really are being pushy or not.

I speak my mind a lot. I post pictures and videos of Kathy Griffin (anti-Jesus comedian) and quotes a lot of pro-gay and anti-religion quotes on my Facebook wall. Some deleted me, but I didn't care. One person told me I was being too pushy. So it's okay to post Jesus and shove it down my throat, but not okay to post atheist things? I wasn't trying to convert anyone. I have a Christian family and I can't express these views to them. My Facebook is a good place to do so and I love it!

FB is a nightmare anyway, just a place for people to air their dirty laundry that would be better put in the washing machine. One reason I don't use it - Yeah I have the dummy account there just to get this or that promo for a game or whatever but, that's all it's for.

JisthenewK Wrote:For anyone who doesn't know me and my firm beliefs (which I doubt there are any of you who DON'T at this point), I am an atheist and I believe in rights, not only for gays, but for each person who is being denied them. I have been told by some friends that come across as "arrogant, pushy, and a know-it-all." Is this true? I may be this way, but I'm only doing so, because I used to get walked on, before I was like this. At this point, I would rather fight. I might be a "know-it-all," but I'm 17, so what? What is so wrong with giving society a piece of my mind? :mad:

Only human - Speak for yourself round ears! :eek: :biggrin: :tongue:

You come off as pushy because you are intelligent. You sound arrogant because instead thumbing a phone to death with useless chatter you actually are exploring the world and learning. This appears to the sheeple (sheep+ people = blind followers) to be 'arrogant' when in reality its wisdom building.

What is the problem in trying to give society a piece of mind?

You dare to break their illusion of the bright shinning, perfect world they think they live in. You dare to point out the flaws and bring awareness to the terrible things they can not or will not look at.

Then you are dealing with egos and selfish creatures, few people accept that they may actually be less than they think of themselves, and most are actually far less and need to 'prove' to themselves that they are more by lashing out at others around them.

You have a rational approach to the rights of all. - This denies many the right to have a way to 'prove' that they are 'better than' thus get some minor comfort at not being merely a 'sinner' that somehow they are more righteous, more deserving than those they oppress.

You may continue fighting the fight if you wish, just understand that while you may win some of the battles the war will never be won.

Sorry.

JisthenewK Wrote:I am an atheist and I believe in rights, not only for gays, but for each person who is being denied them. I have been told by some friends that come across as "arrogant, pushy, and a know-it-all." Is this true?

People will not only mock, but they will also discredit what they are afraid of and what they are not smart enough to comprehend so they don't have to get involved, so don't take it personally, it is not you that is insecure or irrational.

It's a credit to you that you have those beliefs and you stand up for what you believe Wink

Posting things that mean something to you on your FB wall is no way being pushy. Most people have things that are important to them and that becomes the theme of their wall photos. There's a couple peoplpe that are constantly posting stuff about loving Jesus and all that and it doesn't bother me because I know that's something that's important to them. I've seen a couple posts that I really didn't like but they weren't personal attacks on me or my beliefs, just a difference of opinion and for people to tell you that you are pushy for putting things on your FB that they don't like then I think they're being immature.

Bottom line is it's your FB you can do what you want with it. If someone doesn't like it then they should delete you or hide your posts or whatever.

You don't have to like everything your friends post. (Yay FB pun)

The golden rule - do unto others as you would have done unto you.

So I do not mind if you are an atheist, nor do I care if you stand up for your right. But grant me the same freedom to believe in what I choose.