Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Large Hadron Collider
sudanese Wrote:here is the story from New york times .. when i read the story in another website i didn't think they are professional physicists

Oh thanks, i am glad i asked. See...some scientists are like politicians. They would destroy the world just to prove their point.

spotysocks Wrote:Oh thanks, i am glad i asked. See...some scientists are like politicians. They would destroy the world just to prove their point.
I think that scientists may well be driven more by the excitement of curiosity. That seems a far more worthy motive than those I could ascribe to most politicians. In the main I would say that more politicians do more harm than scientists.

Ok so it sums up how my mind works when I read this thread title as "large hardon collider" haha

SElondon87 Wrote:Ok so it sums up how my mind works when I read this thread title as "large hardon collider" haha
The result of too much playing Jedi knights with luminous condoms, perhaps? Rolleyes

marshlander Wrote:I think that scientists may well be driven more by the excitement of curiosity. That seems a far more worthy motive than those I could ascribe to most politicians. In the main I would say that more politicians do more harm than scientists.

Indeed, I have more respect to science than most things that's why i said 'some scientists' having as example those who dont always calculate risks and when motives are more egotistical than altruistic.

SElondon87 Wrote:Ok so it sums up how my mind works when I read this thread title as "large hardon collider" haha

hehe me too .... Sheep

full article is here:

'Big bang machine' halted for 2 months - LHC - MSNBC.com

one of the main points: "It's too early to say precisely what happened, but it seems to be a faulty electrical connection between two magnets that stopped superconducting, melted and led to a mechanical failure and let the helium out," Gillies told The Associated Press."

"He said it would take "several weeks minimum" to warm up the sector."Then we can fix it," Gillies said. "Then we cool it down again."

fjp999 Wrote:full article is here:

'Big bang machine' halted for 2 months - LHC - MSNBC.com

one of the main points: "It's too early to say precisely what happened, but it seems to be a faulty electrical connection between two magnets that stopped superconducting, melted and led to a mechanical failure and let the helium out," Gillies told The Associated Press."

"He said it would take "several weeks minimum" to warm up the sector."Then we can fix it," Gillies said. "Then we cool it down again."

*sighh* why am I not surprised? Rolleyes
At an extra cost of 10 billion in an already weakened economic situation? Rolleyes

Smurlos Wrote:*sighh* why am I not surprised? Rolleyes
At an extra cost of 10 billion in an already weakened economic situation? Rolleyes

The hard-on became too hot, what did you expect? Wink Biggrinflip

Black holes again? Rolleyes
Thanks for the black hole, now some thing for our lame duck president to through U.S. tax payers money in to. Might just as well dump those worthless banks into as well.

yar Wrote:Black holes again? Rolleyes
Thanks for the black hole, now some thing for our lame duck president to through U.S. tax payers money in to. Might just as well dump those worthless banks into as well.
It doesn't look as though you have to worry about the U.S. taxpayers' money on this project, yar. As far as I can make out CERN is funded by its 20 member states, including 1954's original twelve countries, i.e. Belgium, Denmark, Germany (at first only West Germany), France, Greece, Italy, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, The Netherlands, United Kingdom (and Yugoslavia which withdrew in 1961) along with the others added over the years - Austria, Spain, Portugal, Finland, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Bulgaria.

The USA is one of eight nations or organisations which has "observer status" only along with the European Commission, India, Israel, Japan, Russia, Turkey and UNESCO. Presumably you'd have to start paying your subs if you wanted to lob anything into any resulting black holes Wink