Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worst LGBT films
Does anyone here have any LGBT films which they particularly dislike and if so which ones and why?

There're quite a lot of deep, meaningful LGBT themed movies out there which are brilliant and absolutely amazing but at the same time there are ones which are pure trash and try to be amusing but for some reason fail. I wasn't too sure about Another Gay Sequel: Gays gone Wild (2008) where a group of typical, young gay men go to Fort Lauderdale (a seaside resort that sort of seems to be an equivalent of Ibiza or Tenerife in Europe) and basically try to get laid. It's just very crude, not really amusing or sexy. The only funny side is the atrocious acting. I found it hard to watch and in fact couldn't sit through it all as it was that bad.

I haven't really seen the first one but understand that it is just a straightforward parody of American Pie. I never really liked American Pie so wouldn't fancy seeing that one either.

Brokeback Mountain....HATED IT!

Yeah..I know...it is most people's favorite gay movie.

I am not a fan of cowards...I am not a fan of people who live their lives as victims and I would rather watch paint dry than spend two hours watching them. I didn't like the characters at all so I lost interest quickly in the movie.

Not exactly an LGBT movie.. or is it? I'm not sure... Anyway - Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Every so-ever-many-years, I convince myself that I should somehow be embarrassed that I haven't seen or do not watch more gay movies, and try a few. Perhaps some of it is bad luck but I always wind up seeing new ones that remind me why I don't even hope for a good gay movie.

I might have mentioned it elsewhere (can't recall) but when I saw Leaving Metropolis I wanted that two hours of my life back. I felt like I'd just watched one of the least sympathetic characters I'd ever seen in any movie (gay or mainstream) ruin some guy's life without even a hint of remorse about it. Oh, and he was some "tortured artist" cliche as well.

When Charlize Theron can make me SYMPATHIZE with a female serial killer protagonist, is it really too much to ask that a gay movie create a protagonist who I don't want to punch in the face for being intolerable by the end of the movie?

Buzzer Wrote:Every so-ever-many-years, I convince myself that I should somehow be embarrassed that I haven't seen or do not watch more gay movies, and try a few. Perhaps some of it is bad luck but I always wind up seeing new ones that remind me why I don't even hope for a good gay movie.

I might have mentioned it elsewhere (can't recall) but when I saw Leaving Metropolis I wanted that two hours of my life back. I felt like I'd just watched one of the least sympathetic characters I'd ever seen in any movie (gay or mainstream) ruin some guy's life without even a hint of remorse about it. Oh, and he was some "tortured artist" cliche as well.

When Charlize Theron can make me SYMPATHIZE with a female serial killer protagonist, is it really too much to ask that a gay movie create a protagonist who I don't want to punch in the face for being intolerable by the end of the movie?

LOL...watch Tales of the City! It is and isn't a gay movie but I don't want to say more because there is a "mystery" that would give too much away

I haven't really seen absolutely crappy LGBT movies. But there's a trope I hate, which seems to affect lesbian movies in general: the couple almost always breaks up in one way or another in the end. Either the relationship doesn't work on an emotional level (Kissing Jessica Stein, Blue Is the Warmest Colour), the protagonist ends up with a girl who turns out to be "just experimenting" or a total bitch (Pariah + two other lesbian films whose names I can't recall) or there's some kind of an externally caused tragedy (all Asian lesbian movies I've seen + two others I've seen. Can't recall the titles again). I'm not even counting those movies where lesbian sex is only featured for the sake of the straight male audience (Black Swan). This seems to apply to all TV series featuring lesbian couples, or at least the ones I've seen, for example True Blood or Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I've only seen two lesbian movies with a happy ending, The Kids Are Alright and Fucking Åmål (AKA Show Me Love). It's almost like it's impossible for our collective imagination to picture a happy ending for a female couple. I hope someone with more experience of lesbian films can prove me wrong.

Aike Wrote:I haven't really seen absolutely crappy LGBT movies. But there's a trope I hate, which seems to affect lesbian movies in general: the couple almost always breaks up in one way or another in the end. Either the relationship doesn't work on an emotional level (Kissing Jessica Stein, Blue Is the Warmest Colour), the protagonist ends up with a girl who turns out to be "just experimenting" or a total bitch (Pariah + two other lesbian films whose names I can't recall) or there's some kind of an externally caused tragedy (all Asian lesbian movies I've seen + two others I've seen. Can't recall the titles again). I'm not even counting those movies where lesbian sex is only featured for the sake of the straight male audience (Black Swan). This seems to apply to all TV series featuring lesbian couples, or at least the ones I've seen, for example True Blood or Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I've only seen two lesbian movies with a happy ending, The Kids Are Alright and Fucking Åmål (AKA Show Me Love). It's almost like it's impossible for our collective imagination to picture a happy ending for a female couple. I hope someone with more experience of lesbian films can prove me wrong.

I tried to think if "The Hours" defied this convention or not, but I guess all it really did was not show the lesbian couple breaking up by the end, but the story wasn't very devoted to their relationship either.

i didn't like Brokeback Mountain. its only appeal was two high-ranking Hollywood actors playing gay characters. but the whole plot and story, not my thing. it was a completely unhealthy relationship. if you're into that sort of anguish and self-denial, sure, but it just turns me off. this not knowing what you want, and not going after what you want when you do know it -- it's bullshit.

i've seen a number of gay films that are bad where creative and technical skill is concerned. nonsensical plot, outright continuity issues, problems with character development, etc. but i can't name them because i tend to just forget about films like that. one that i do remember is Keep the Lights On. it has one of the worst plot and character developments in any gay film i've seen, that's how i've remembered it. i understand you're on a budget but that is not an excuse for such a crappy storyline and characters.

Amphetamine

It just... hit me wrong from beginning to end. It tripped a lot of triggers for me.

East Wrote:Brokeback Mountain....HATED IT!

Yeah..I know...it is most people's favorite gay movie.

I am not a fan of cowards...I am not a fan of people who live their lives as victims and I would rather watch paint dry than spend two hours watching them. I didn't like the characters at all so I lost interest quickly in the movie.

wow. i didn't read this till now. i completely agree with this. if you wanna be with someone, if you fucking love someone (as we were led to believe they did), you go for it no matter what. you don't do it halfway or as a part-time hobby.