Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any one know anything easy to cook?
Pay attention now Marshie (and I thought I was a dizzy queen!). I said 1 (390g) can of artichoke hearts. This recipe is a good standby because you can keep all the ingredients in stock all the time and nothing goes off. I often substitute plain yoghurt for the mascarpone/ cream: the difference is only slight and the yoghurt is a healthier option. If I use cream, I generally use the UHT cream - doesn't go off so quick.
Besitos!

When artichokes are in season (August?) I boil 1 per person until a sharp knife easily penetrates the bottoms of the artichokes (20-30 minutes) and serve with a good mayo as a starter. You peal off the leaves and squeeze out the soft flesh at the base of the leaves between your teeth. Yummy and easy. You end up with a huge pile of leaves. I found this recipe for 3 alternative sauces:-
Cookthink: Boiled artichokes with three dipping sauces

marshlander Wrote:Perhaps we'll have to give that a go next week then Xyxthumbs We'll have everything else in the house, but I've never cooked artichokes. Are they available at the moment?
Honey, I'm sure we have a jar or two of artichokes hearts in the house;.. I often stock them. We should definitely try to make it.

princealbertofb Wrote:Honey, I'm sure we have a jar or two of artichokes hearts in the house;.. I often stock them. We should definitely try to make it.
Oh, jars, yes. I keep forgetting vegetables don't have to be seasonal :redface:

I'm sure we could make them from fresh artichokes when in season too. They cook really well in a pressure cooker.

Peter, it is traditional to serve artichokes with leaves and all in France with vinaigrette (a mixture of oil and vinegar, sometimes with some mustard added) or mayonnaise. But I'm sure there are all sorts of varieties possible. Like putting a chopped shallot into the vinaigrette.

I think you would need an awful lot of fresh artichokes for a risotto, so maybe canned or bottled is better and cheaper.
Yes, PA, I like a vinaigrette sauce with salads and I put just a very small amount of sugar in it - it takes the edge off the vinegar. The French way of serving artichokes is very similar. I first had them in Italy when staying with a German family. I can't really remember what the sauce was that they used but I have experimented and mostly go for a light version of mayo.
And another easy starter is avocados. I mostly fill them with vinaigrette. And someone told me that the best way to get avocados to ripen is to wrap them in newspaper and leave them for a day or 2 somewhere visible but out of the way in the kitchen: this really works.

peterinmalaga Wrote:... avocados. I mostly fill them with vinaigrette. And someone told me that the best way to get avocados to ripen is to wrap them in newspaper and leave them for a day or 2 somewhere visible but out of the way in the kitchen: this really works.
Thanks for the tip. If I want fresh produce past its sell by date I'll go to our village shop or, sadly, a local farm shop (although their produce when it's fresh is just the best they often keep stuff on the shelf till it goes wrinkly). If I want taste-free, but ripe, fresh produce I go to LiDL. There's usually at least one rotten one in any bag and their avocados are often ready in a few days. If I want to plan a meal with avocados a month in advance I'll buy from Tesco. I don't think I'll be getting PA to eat avocado anytime soon though :redface:

How about Baked Salmon?

I've done this recipe a few times before. It's a simple recipe and delicious. I tweaked the recipe a bit though by sprinkling Almonds and a few others. Oh, I also used microwave instead of an oven to speed up the baking. If I'm not mistaken it only took me about 15 to 20 minutes to bake it.

Baked Salmon Recipe - Food.com - 28199

I took a few photos of my first Baked Salmon last year.

[Image: BakedSalmon1.jpg]

[Image: BakedSalmon2.jpg]