Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LGBT Disdrimination
Hey everyone, I am a medical student from Indonesia. I am thinking of doing my residency in the US and move to the states permanently. I am a gay and I have trouble coming out right now cause in my country gay people r not very well accepted. I would like to know if LGBT is accepted socially in the US. are gay people discriminated in the US?

Unfortunately there's some form of discrimination EVERYWHERE.

Race, Age, Income, height, weight, religion, politics, gender, sexual preference ...

In some areas of the US it's more prevalent than other places. Generally larger cities have less than smaller towns. It's easier to get "lost in a crowd". All in all though, even at it's worst here is probably still better than where you currently are.

yeah I am thinking of moving there. Practice medicine and start living in the us after I finish my study here. It will be difficult and i just want to know if it's worth moving.

Generally not, but Canada is a much more accepting country with homo rights entrenched in laws protecting us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Canada

The US has many cities where it is great to be a homo. But it also has a number of states with no protection for homos and no homo marriage. You'll want to be careful which state you choose.

stevenfitch90 Wrote:Hey everyone, I am a medical student from Indonesia. I am thinking of doing my residency in the US and move to the states permanently. I am a gay and I have trouble coming out right now cause in my country gay people r not very well accepted. I would like to know if LGBT is accepted socially in the US. are gay people discriminated in the US?

It really depends on where you would like to live, if you want to live in a rural community in the US then being gay is definately a negative, but if you prefer urban living then being gay can be "not-so-bad" (in souther US cities) to "totally cool" (in northern US cities).
Good Luck! (And keep us informed)
~Beaux

Oh, and Welcome to the Forum! Wink

As said, it really does depend on where you are. Discrimination against gays and lesbians can happen anywhere and it does. The difference is many states have no protections to discourage this from happening and if it does happen, no remedies for the person who was discriminated against. The west coast and the northeast are probably the most open minded when it comes to lgbt acceptance, but in between many of the large cities and university towns will also be open minded.

It can happen anywhere, but if you are planning to come to go to school you will be around younger people. It is much more acceptable to young, college students.