Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Grammar help) meaning of "into"
princealbertofb Wrote:@seeking, another word is WITHIN, which means that there are time or space limits at either end of a period or a place. It is an amalgamated word of two prepositions, WITH and IN, similarly to INTO (IN and TO).
''Let me know within an hour'' means that the hour starts as soon as I've finished speaking and will end in 60 minutes, and that's the time limit you have to tell me what I need to know. After that it will be too late.
INTO can be used also in such expressions as ''To be into someone or something'', and that means that you enjoy or like that person or thing. Example: ''He's INTO planes.'' He enjoys planes and everything concerning aviation.

Thanks Prince! I have seen the two words above being used before and I found them easier to understand somehow.
But It seems like the "Times into Event" is being used less often (from my own experience) that I couldn't make out their meaning just by reading it and most of the time I would just use "after" when I make a sentence.

seeking Wrote:Thanks Prince! I have seen the two words above being used before and I found them easier to understand somehow.
But It seems like the "Times into Event" is being used less often (from my own experience) that I couldn't make out their meaning just by reading it and most of the time I would just use "after" when I make a sentence.
[MENTION=13183]seeking[/MENTION], I don't think the expression using a certain amount of time INTO a particular event is such a rare phrase, but it's not overly common either. Just one of those things that make the English language sometimes difficult to understand, I guess.
Other examples : Three minutes into the film, I realised that I had already seen it.
Four hours into the job and he knew he never wanted to do manual work again.