Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dave Chappell "Cancelation" Controversy.
Has anyone been following this? I'm gonna side with him, he made a few jokes about trans folk, but he jokes about everyone. Thats literally his job. I think it's crazy how many people are loosing their heads over this. 

https://www.etonline.com/dave-chappelle-...rsy-173468

I'm still on the fence, I have to watch it again. But I will say there's a lot that he said that people shouldn't take seriously like when he calls himself transphobic or a terf, he ment it as a joke because that's what people called him. However, it seems like something we really wouldn't understand unless we were trans
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

In our own best interest as a culture, it doesn't need to be complex nor scrutinized once the essential effect is truly realized. An informed decision is clear.

"The self-proclaimed “GOAT” (greatest of all time) of stand-up delivers five or six lucid moments of brilliance, surrounded by a joyless tirade of incoherent and seething rage, misogyny, homophobia and transphobia." NYT example

Dig your own hole Chapelle supporters. Try deflecting to white people as the target. Try whatever you like to mitigate the damage already clearly engaged.

"In his new Netflix special, Dave Chappelle attempts to curb criticism of his tone-deaf jokes about transgender people by pointing out a through-line from his decades in comedy: “Any of you who have ever watched me know that I have never had a problem with transgender people,” he says. “If you listen to what I’m saying, clearly, my problem has always been with White people.”

That line encapsulates the controversy around Chappelle and “The Closer,” which has reignited fury over the comedian’s material about transgender women and other LGBTQ people. It has also resurfaced debate about whether stand-up comics should be limited at all in their material. Chappelle’s focus on race alone — while overlooking the experiences of Black trans women and the disproportionate rates of violence they face — has been a particular sticking point." Wash Post example

This is NOT new in comedy and I support free speech and resulting consequences.

Is there a need for any shame whatsoever? I implore a resounding YES! Sometimes you have to take a stand in support of informed decision making. Stop the incitement just because your intellectual boredom is not otherwise entertained. Ugh.
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

LGBTQ+ Hate, in any context, should be called out and exposed for the effect it truly has in our evolving culture.
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

(10-16-2021, 05:07 PM)ChadCoxRox Wrote: LGBTQ+ Hate, in any context, should be called out and exposed for the effect it truly has in our evolving culture.

Thats idiotic. It's a comedy show... these are jokes. What is comedy to you? I weep for the future.

(10-16-2021, 05:05 PM)ChadCoxRox Wrote: In our own best interest as a culture, it doesn't need to be complex nor scrutinized once the essential effect is truly realized. An informed decision is clear.

"The self-proclaimed “GOAT” (greatest of all time) of stand-up delivers five or six lucid moments of brilliance, surrounded by a joyless tirade of incoherent and seething rage, misogyny, homophobia and transphobia." NYT example

Dig your own hole Chapelle supporters. Try deflecting to white people as the target. Try whatever you like to mitigate the damage already clearly engaged.

"In his new Netflix special, Dave Chappelle attempts to curb criticism of his tone-deaf jokes about transgender people by pointing out a through-line from his decades in comedy: “Any of you who have ever watched me know that I have never had a problem with transgender people,” he says. “If you listen to what I’m saying, clearly, my problem has always been with White people.”

That line encapsulates the controversy around Chappelle and “The Closer,” which has reignited fury over the comedian’s material about transgender women and other LGBTQ people. It has also resurfaced debate about whether stand-up comics should be limited at all in their material. Chappelle’s focus on race alone — while overlooking the experiences of Black trans women and the disproportionate rates of violence they face — has been a particular sticking point." Wash Post example

This is NOT new in comedy and I support free speech and resulting consequences.

Is there a need for any shame whatsoever? I implore a resounding YES! Sometimes you have to take a stand in support of informed decision making. Stop the incitement just because your intellectual boredom is not otherwise entertained. Ugh.

Incitement of what? It's a comedy show, not a Klan rally. These are jokes, and clearly countless people (more so than not) find them funny. And the quotes you posted have a blatant and extreme bias. "Overlooking the experiences of black trans women", this line here made me actually laugh out loud. Thats the biggest SJW reach I've seen in a while. He didn't "overlook" anything, the subject of the joke just had nothing to DO with that topic. Thats like saying someone is a racist for not including the suffering of Native Americans in their speech about space travel. And again, COMEDY show. Why the fuck would you go on stage and rant about depressive, dark shit? You're literally there to do the opposite of depress people.

Another thing I've noticed is that all this outrage is recent, though Chappell has been making jokes about Whites for how many decades (which were hilarious most of the time)? Not a word from these people trying to crucify him now. Not a peep from them for all these years. It just shows that it's not about canceling bigotry or hate, if so they would have been freaking out and trying to cancel him years ago. What its about is trying their hardest to wave that ever sought after victim card. "You're not allowed to say that! It's mean! We are victims! Look everyone, we are victims!!!".

Also, whats with the assumption that all Trans people are these weak, broken people who would have a mental breakdown over a freaking comedy show? This gate-keeping nonsense of LGBTs saying what is/isn't acceptable HAS to go. This is why so many people avoid gays, or are even maybe bigoted. It's like walking on eggshells around a lot of these perpetually offended LGBT folks. It's not a big shocker why so many people avoid us or are exhausted with the gate keeping.

The idiocy on the matter is inherent in the response and it is sad witnessing an integral part of the problem, not the relief, not the healing, not the respect and certainly not the protection of human rights of equality. But OH! for the sake of comedy. It's true, it AIN'T new. Ugh.

(10-17-2021, 02:24 PM)ChadCoxRox Wrote: The idiocy on the matter is inherent in the response and it is sad witnessing an integral part of the problem, not the relief, not the healing, not the respect and certainly not the protection of human rights of equality. But OH! for the sake of comedy. It's true, it AIN'T new. Ugh.

The protection of human right and equality? Please, tell me where Chappell violated human rights and equality.

I guess I'll have to watch it first and then give my opinion.

I have been a long time fan of Chappelle, and I know he's made some transgender jokes on one of his earlier specials but I didn't think his intent was to be hateful towards transgender people in the other specials, perhaps my opinion will change after this. There is some leeway you have to give to comedians, but it gets really murky as to where the line is and should be. I mean after all, you can crack jokes about priests having sex with minors all day and I also think that those jokes are offensive to some who might be religious for instance, so it depends on who you ask as to whether the alter boy jokes are funny or not. We might find that shit funny, while they might find it highly offensive especially because it does happen. Of course it goes beyond that, it is a matter of context, a matter of intent and a matter of the effects on people who hear the jokes.

You know what I like about Jay Leno? When I watch old segments of his monologs on The Tonight Show, he would make political jokes, but he never picked on one side of the political isle, he managed to stay pretty neutral. So, I do think a comedian can be funny while not insulting or alienating a group of people, or even say fuck, shit, or cunt in their act. And no, I'm not saying Jay Leno is the best comic ever or anything like that.

Here's another example. Who here knows who Sam Kinison is? To be fair, I like him, I like his comedy. Also understand that in the late 80's and early 90's (before his tragic death) it was perfectly fine to make gay jokes and some were kind of on the hateful. Sam did a bit about a gay necrophiliac...

Quote:Well, life was tough, but at least I was able to live it out and I was able to face death and not be afraid. Well, now I'm ready to go to Heaven and be with Jesus, and... hey? Hey, what's this? Oh, God it feels like a man's dick in my ass! Oh, God! I'm dead! Oh, you mean life keeps on fucking you even after you're dead? Oh, it never ends!
Mind you, Sam does this while laying on the stage, using his toes to rock himself back and forth.

Also bear in mind that this was 1990 in the middle of the AIDS pandemic. Yes, we know a lot more about AIDS now, but back then understand the landscape. What Sam said was funny, I mean call me a jerk but I did laugh at that. However, what message did the audience get from that? Perhaps that gay men might fuck corpses, after all they're getting this unknown virus and I remember the the fucking rumors...about people fucking monkeys and the lies about how it spread and so on. I think in a way, and perhaps a small one, stuff like that furthered the hate against gay people, after all, if you think a gay guy is going to stick his dick in a dead corpse's butt, might spread some virus you don't know anything about but other than rumors, you might not like gay people in addition to all the other bullshit. So yes, I think comedians can cause harm with their comedy, it just might not be all that apparent.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Well I watched it. So I do have some mixed feelings about some of the things he said about siding with the TERF's and whatnot. However, here's what I think. Watch it first, because I think more context is needed before you write Dave off as a transphobic hateful SOB, because I don't think that he is. I can't speak for Chappelle though nor do I want to. Nor am I suggesting or giving Dave excuses for what he said. However, I don't think anything he said came from a place of hate or that his intent was to harm or diminish transgender people, doesn't make what he said right and definite not PC that's for sure.

Just to draw comparisons, consider the example in my last post about Sam Kinison and the gay necrophilac joke and compare it to Dave's example.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!