Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All that jazz
Alright folks, this one is for Jazz. Any way you like it, just post it.

My lead is from Ramsey Lewis.

Ramsey Lewis Trio - Wade in the water [Originally released in 1966]

Ramsey Emmanuel Lewis, Jr. (born May 27, 1935) is an American jazz composer, pianist and radio personality. By 1966, Lewis was one of the nation’s most successful jazz pianists, topping the charts with "The In Crowd", "Hang On Sloopy", and "Wade in the Water". All three singles each sold over one million copies, and were awarded gold discs.

Louis Armstrong - When The Saints Go Marching In [Originally released in 1938]

A real classic, and I still enjoy listening to it.

woi woi hi hi

my first contrib would have to be take five =]

John Coltrane - Alabama [Originally released in 1963]

The John Coltrane Quartet (John Coltrane, McCoy Tyner, Jimmy Garrison, Elvin Jones).

John Coltrane was an American jazz saxophonist and composer. Working in the bebop and hard bop idioms early in his career, Coltrane helped pioneer the use of modes in jazz and later was at the forefront of free jazz. He was prolific, organizing at least fifty recording sessions as a leader during his recording career, and appeared as a sideman on many other albums, notably with trumpeter Miles Davis and pianist Thelonious Monk.

Miles Davis - All Blues - 1964

Miles Davis was widely considered one of the most influential musicians of the 20th century, Miles Davis was, with his musical groups, at the forefront of several major developments in jazz music, including bebop, cool jazz, hard bop, modal jazz, and jazz fusion.

Oh man! How could anyone not post this up! The genre defining song!

Thelonious Monk - Epistrophy [Originally released in 1951. composed in 1942]

Thelonious Sphere Monk was an American jazz pianist and composer considered "one of the giants of American music". Monk had a unique improvisational style and made numerous contributions to the standard jazz repertoire, including "Epistrophy", "'Round Midnight", "Blue Monk", "Straight, No Chaser" and "Well, You Needn't"

I could post forever on this thread but I will keep it to my favorite JAZZ VOCAL perfomances on YouTube...

...and Manhattan Transfer gets alot of criticism for this perfomance but I love their vocals and they are compared unfavorably to Weather Report but they have performed this with Weather Report many times...

Billy Holliday - Lady sings the Blues [Originally released in 1956]

Billie Holiday (born Eleanora Fagan[1] April 7, 1915 – July 17, 1959) was an American jazz singer and songwriter. Nicknamed "Lady Day" by her friend and musical partner Lester Young, Holiday was a seminal influence on jazz and pop singing. Her vocal style, strongly inspired by jazz instrumentalists, pioneered a new way of manipulating phrasing and tempo. Above all, she was admired worldwide for her deeply personal, intimate approach to singing.

I could almost have chosen anything by this incredibly prolific Swedish trio. They just seemed to breathe music of the very highest quality and watching them live in performance was like watching people communicating telepathically. I was very sad when Esbjörn S. died in a diving accident a couple of years ago.

Elevation of Love