Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All that jazz
Rychard the Lionheart Wrote:Sorry PA its not on youtube as yet, but did find this from Sarah.

Thanks then Rychard. I'm desperately trying to mount my own Sarah Vaughan Midnight Sun video... Would it be indecent to start off with Aiden Shaw's poster for Midnight Sun?

Only if the poster is indecent.

Decided against the Aiden Shaw poster. Although naked, his tackle couldn't be seen (hidden behind some garment)... but somehow it didn't seem fitting... So anyway, here is my own YouTube video of Sarah Vaughan singing MIDNIGHT SUN to a background of fireworks that I filmed over the lake last summer....
I quite like my rendering. Enjoy the song. Confusedmile:

This is one of my favorite songs ever...and I watch these videos and listen to these versions the most:

First...the fabulous Jill Scott and George Benson:

...and then Fantasia who gives me chills...I fell completely in love with her after this performance

...and my favorite singer ever Chaka Khan with Fantasia...I would have paid ALOT to have seen these guys do this in person

...and then there is the immortal Billie Holiday...

...and of course Janis Joplin's haunting rendition...

...and Miles Davis gives me chills..

This is just showing off ... but WHAT showing off!

Only two saxophones and circular breathing in this film. There are others with him playing three saxes and a flute :eek:

marshlander Wrote:Where have all the intelligent, angry, political jazzers gone?

...Maybe not right here, a song about a flat foot floogie (floozy) with a floy floy (STD). Oh well, good fun, reminds me of having a hysterically good time at Newcastle's (joint) best nightclub, The Jazz Cafe!

Awww, such fun!

Ah, the twentieth century, the first and last great age of America. Bon voyage to you, your hope and idealism, your virile and sexy independence. You match well the sentiments of your authors, "American history is longer, larger, more various, more beautiful, and more terrible than anything anyone has ever said about it. " and "I burn my candle at both ends, /It will not last the night. /But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends, /It gives a lovely light."

Couldn't find THE good recording of Chet baker for this, so we have the visual pleasure to go with the music in this recording.

THE JAZZ FORM IN POETRY:

Charlie Parker - Now's The Time [Originally recorded in Nov. 26, 1945]

Charles Parker, famously called Bird or Yardbird, was an American jazz saxophonist and composer.

Parker, with Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington, is widely considered one of the most influential of jazz musicians. Parker acquired the nickname "Yardbird" early in his career, and the shortened form "Bird" remained Parker's sobriquet for the rest of his life, inspiring the titles of a number of Parker compositions, such as "Yardbird Suite", "Ornithology" and "Bird of Paradise."

Parker played a leading role in the development of bebop, a form of jazz characterized by fast tempos, virtuoso technique, and improvisation based on harmonic structure. Parker's innovative approaches to melody, rhythm, and harmony exercised enormous influence on his contemporaries. Several of Parker's songs have become standards, including "Billie's Bounce", "Anthropology", "Ornithology", and "Confirmation". He introduced revolutionary harmonic ideas including a tonal vocabulary employing 9ths, 11ths and 13ths of chords, rapidly implied passing chords, and new variants of altered chords and chord substitutions. His tone was clean and penetrating, but sweet and plaintive on ballads. Although many Parker recordings demonstrate dazzling virtuosic technique and complex melodic lines – such as "Ko-Ko", "Kim", and "Leap Frog" – he was also one of the great blues players. His themeless blues improvisation "Parker's Mood" represents one of the most deeply affecting recordings in jazz. At various times, Parker fused jazz with other musical styles, from classical to Latin music, blazing paths followed later by others.

Archie Shepp Group - In a sentimental mood (Warsaw, Poland in 1978)

Archie Shepp (born May 24, 1937) is a prominent African-American jazz saxophonist. Shepp is best known for his passionately Afrocentric music of the late 1960s, which focused on highlighting the injustices faced by the African-Americans, as well as for his work with the New York Contemporary Five, Horace Parlan, and his collaborations with his "New Thing" contemporaries, most notably Cecil Taylor and John Coltrane.

Shepp also writes for theater; his works include The Communist (1965) and Lady Day: A Musical Tragedy (1972). Both were produced by Robert Kalfin and the Chelsea Theater Center.