Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OMG!!! First HIV-Positive Man Cured
OMG!!! I was on the twitter an saw that HIV was trending, at first i was like oh god who died but than I saw this.

Stem Cell Transplant Cures HIV In 'Berlin Patient'

I know there is lots opposition of out there for stem cell research but this is great news

this is amazing...

the implications of this are so far reaching, it's hard to simply comment. While there is some opposition to stem cell research there will be less argument for the opposition with breakthroughs like this.

If all goes to plan this treatment should cure alot more than just HIV I beleive.

Tweets are rolling in now at about 120 a minute, David Blue and Joe Rogan re-tweeted news is spreading fast Confusedmile:

Woohoo.......!!

amazing stuff, and you know what, our opposition to stem cell research, (much like the opposition to gay marraige) is based on our nations inability to withdraw with its fixation with religion, but Germany can be just as, if not so more, religiously ruled at times, and if they can do it, so can we!

Humans are progressing. Excellent news.

Looks like a majorly intensive procedure though, and it still needs independent confirmation. I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but it doesn't look like it's going to be an effective alternative to anti-retroviral therapy.

(Progress is progress though, may lead to better treatments in the future.)

Sorry to be alittle cynical.
But what makes them think that the fact this man has been cured of HIV was because the stem cell trasplant.
The transplant took place three years before this story has been reported. Why the long delay?
It doesn't take three years for the blood cells to be replaced does it? Or did he recive regular transplants over the last three years?
But then, i'm no medical scientist. Maybe this is all normal.

As great as this news is.
I have a feeling that this man being "Cured" of HIV, was down to more than just the stem cell transplant(If it had ANYTHING to do with the transplant at all)

Hopefully we will find out exactly what cured it soon. Maybe though a monitored scientific study.
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

I suspect a good part of the delay was the doctors scratching their heads wondering what had gone wrong with the tests that said the patient did not have any HIV in his body.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.