Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any recommendations?
So I was wondering if anyone could recommend any movies, books, or other things of that nature involving the gay lifestyle. I guess I'd like to get a better understanding (even with all the bs film makers add in).

a couple movies you could watch are Trick and Shelter, I rather enjoyed both. I also recommend Were the World Mine, but its a bit more 'fantasy' in its approach, but the theme is good. Also watch Milk if you haven't already.

For tv shows, your best bet would be Queer as Folk, either the American or UK versions. Will & Grace is fun to watch, but it does play up the stereotypes quite a bit.

I like Shounen ai :3

XRIMO Wrote:a couple movies you could watch are Trick and Shelter, I rather enjoyed both. I also recommend Were the World Mine, but its a bit more 'fantasy' in its approach, but the theme is good. Also watch Milk if you haven't already.

For tv shows, your best bet would be Queer as Folk, either the American or UK versions. Will & Grace is fun to watch, but it does play up the stereotypes quite a bit.

There's Noah's Arc, it only ran for two seasons, but it packs enough drama in each season to hook you. Desperate Housewives has a gay couple move onto Wisteria Lane in Season 2 or 3, but Desperate Housewives is a good show nonetheless. You could try out Brothers & Sisters. I personally am a Scotty & Kevin fan. ^___^

If you're a fan of soaps, try As The World Turns, Verbotene Liebe (I'm currently only watching the Chrolli videos on YouTube. if you're interested.)

If you have access to Netflix, there's a bunch of GLBT stuff on there. (Though a lot of it is either really dull or uninventive.) For movies, try Make The Yuletide Gay, Eating Out I, II and III (they are really stupid, but really funny at the same time.), Mulligans, Breakfast with Scot, and Latter Days.

Good luck! Smile

Trick is a good short film and the best positive gay full length movie (in my opinion ) is
A Torch Song Trilogy

I second the recommendation for the movie "Milk". I enjoyed it a lot.

I love the Ellen Degeneres Show; she is really funny and does a lot to help people out also.

Having been in the closet for a long time, it's books and films that have kept me sane all these years.
Queer as Folk and The L Word are both great series. Will & Grace is fun, but not too serious. I still love watching Ellen and recently rewatched the coming out episodes and the following season, which I enjoyed even more since coming out myself.
For movies I also second the Eating Out films and Latter Days. Coffee Date is good too.
Nobody has mentioned books yet. My favourites are the Tales of the City books by Armistead Maupin. There are 8 books in the series so far, so they should keep you going. The television series based on the first 3 books are also very good. I also love anything by Robert Rodi. He's very funny if you need something to cheer you up.