Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it homophobic ...
... if a person believes that sexuality is a choice and not genetically determined. Are gay people allowed to have both views in this matter - that one can 'choose' to be gay as well as one is genetically predetermined to be gay?

I believe in the right to choose. So I am okay with it either way.

Not saying whether I agree with that idea or not, but are gay people "allowed" to have both views? Of course they are.

What do you mean by being gay? Is being gay about actions or feelings?

If it is about actions, then it's not homophobic, as such, to suggest that gay people have free-will and could choose to be celibate and therefor, by definition, not be gay. It would be both homophobic and unrealistic to expect lifelong celibacy. It seems to me a rather peculiar definition of being gay if a man who is strongly attracted to other men and hoping to find a serious relationship with another man but in the meantime is not having casual sex, is considered not to be gay.

If it is about feelings, then I think accusing gay people of choosing the way they feel is homophobic, but more importantly, very stupid. It implies that many people who live in plainly homophobic countries choose to be pariahs when the could have easily have chosen to be attracted to members of the opposite sex and have a happy normal family life. It takes blind faith in your own arguments to believe that so many people would make such an absurd choice. Also those who accuse gay people of choosing their feeling usually have no real answer to the question of how, when and why they chose to be straight?
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

I can't add much to what Fred has said (nothing new there!), but why would anyone "believe" that being gay is a choice when scientific evidence is pretty convincing now that it isn't?

Biology and sexual orientation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Being gay or straight is not a choice. One may, however, choose whether or not to engage in sexual activity regardless of sexual orientation.

I am trying to think of anything I consciously chose to like or be attracted to.
Fred

Thanks for the response. THing is, there's no such thing as gay gene, so there's no scientific evidence to show that gay people are born that way. But my point is: what's wrong if a person makes a conscious choice? I see nothing wrong either way. Also only that can explain bisexual tendencies.

I don't think the line between nature and nurture is necessarily as clear cut as a lot of people think it is... personally I think there's probably a combination of factors and every person has a unique set of circumstances that lead to them being gay or straight.

Having said that, I don't think "choice" comes into the equation unless you're bi.

bicurious Wrote:Thanks for the response. THing is, there's no such thing as gay gene, so there's no scientific evidence to show that gay people are born that way. But my point is: what's wrong if a person makes a conscious choice? I see nothing wrong either way. Also only that can explain bisexual tendencies.

If somebody did make that choice, there's nothing wrong with it... I think people are just saying that, that probably doesn't happen.

bicurious Wrote:THing is, there's no such thing as gay gene, so there's no scientific evidence to show that gay people are born that way.

There is no such thing as the gay gene, as in a single gene that determines homosexuality versus heterosexuality. However there is some evidence of a gene or genes that may contribute to homosexuality. Even if there was no genetic contribution to homosexuality it does not mean people are not born gay, one has to consider the environment in-utero. Even if people are not born gay it still does not mean that homosexuality is a choice, I wasn't born an English-speaker but I did not choose it either.

bicurious Wrote:Also only that can explain bisexual tendencies.

Why couldn't people be born bisexual?
Fred

bicurious Wrote:Thanks for the response. THing is, there's no such thing as gay gene, so there's no scientific evidence to show that gay people are born that way.
I gave the WIKI reference because it seemed like one of the more easily digested synopses. I take it you didn't read it?

bicurious Wrote:But my point is: what's wrong if a person makes a conscious choice? I see nothing wrong either way. Also only that can explain bisexual tendencies.
There is nothing wrong with making a choice. It's just that it's probably somewhat less likely if the choice is against one's natural orientation. Many people try to live a straight life (which you might refer to as a "choice") and fail miserably.

I think there is a certain level of choice, but who you are attracted to is a product of nature. I think people confuse being gay with choosing to act as a gay person.