Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horror Movie Recommendations
Poltergiest
Nomads
Psycho

I totally agree with the Fourth Kind, that film messed with my head so bad.

But I'd also like to recommend:
Ju-on (2002) [the original version of The Grudge - in Japanese, subtitled not dubbed], Audition (1999) [Japanese - again, subtitles],
The Eye (2002) [Original title - Gin gwai],
Necromentia (2009) [Good for a giggle, but Mr Skinny creeps me out],
Or any of the Saw movies, which tend to mess with my head, so I don't watch them.

Okay so I'm one of the biggest fans of Rob Zombie's films known to man. Sue me. Wink

The Devil's Rejects: My fave movie of all time. In my opinion, it's exactly what a horror/revenge film should be. It contains some of the most despicable and loveable characters (the victims fall into BOTH categories, as do the victims oddly enough) I've ever seen in a horror movie. It also contains two of the most disturbing scenes captured on film in the past thirty years (the gun-related sexual assault, the maid's 'discovery' and the aftermath of that). The Devil's Rejects also wrenched my gut many times, even when nothing violent was happening. For example, a man is forced to pray for God to intervene and save him while facing his death that can't realistically be stopped, and a woman is forced by one of the killers to physically harm her best friend in order to gain the "right" to use the restroom. This movie is amazing when it comes to showing how powerless many people may be when faced with a sudden and viscious situation. I also couldn't help but see the killers as more than just sadistic monsters. By the end of the film the villains become the heroes even though they destroy several completely innocent people.

Halloween (2007) and Halloween 2 (2009): I would definitely recommend watching these two back-to-back. I mentioned these in my Introduction section thread. Like I said there, the evolution/collapse of the characters in the two films are astounding (especially Laurie and her best friend Annie). Halloween 2 is honestly the best horror sequel I've seen in almost a decade. Not only does it continue the rather viscious 'physical part' of the story that began in the first film, it also does something rare: it spends a good amount of time addressing the grief process and different ways that people may deal with a traumatic event. These two movies have been a HUGE inspiration to me when it comes to alot of my own written works, even though only two of my stories are horror.

Can someone tell me if its worthy to watch Sam Raimi's Drag Me to Hell and also French zombie movie called The Horde? The Horde's trailer looks scrumptious scary.

Plot of The Horde

The plot revolves around a group of Paris policemen, who embark on a mission of vengeance after one of their colleagues dies by the hands of a notorious drug dealer holed up inside a building. They storm the social housing complex with the intent of taking him down, in the heart of a derelict and corrupt Paris neighborhood. The operation is a failure, and the team is captured. But suddenly, both sides find themselves confronted by a quite different opponent... As a zombie apocalypse breaks out, cops and criminals will have to forge an uneasy alliance to survive the undead

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Horde

Jay Wrote:Can someone tell me if its worthy to watch Sam Raimi's Drag Me to Hell

I can't say as I don't know what you like in horror movies.

But I saw this at the cinema and it though it was often over the top it definitely had some parts that made me jump. What I like best about it though was the old gypsy woman, that was some BRILLIANT acting...and the fight scene in the car between the gypsy and the bank loan officer (played by Alison Lohman, an actress I like and why I chose to see it) was so over the top that it became hilarious and I about fell out of my seat trying not to laugh! Even so it got scary really fast once the very entertaining (and downright silly) fight scene was done. It's just that because it is so very over the top I found it hard to forget that I was watching a movie at times which can ruin a horror movie for some people.

Pix Wrote:I can't say as I don't know what you like in horror movies.

But I saw this at the cinema and it though it was often over the top it definitely had some parts that made me jump. What I like best about it though was the old gypsy woman, that was some BRILLIANT acting...and the fight scene in the car between the gypsy and the bank loan officer (played by Alison Lohman, an actress I like and why I chose to see it) was so over the top that it became hilarious and I about fell out of my seat trying not to laugh! Even so it got scary really fast once the very entertaining (and downright silly) fight scene was done. It's just that because it is so very over the top I found it hard to forget that I was watching a movie at times which can ruin a horror movie for some people.

Pix, over the top à la Evil Dead? I think Evil Dead was over the top but still bloody scary.

I like 'traditional' type of horror movies that makes you jump and shriek like Evil Dead, The Thing, The Exorcist etc. I don't like horror movies like Saw. For me, Saw was more about exhibiting gory and violence purposely.

Anyways I should give this movie a shot. Thanks Pix!

Gothika , it's an old one , but it scared the hell out of me.
I think the reason it played with my mind , was due to the fact that I was working as mental health R.N. in a very creepy haunted assylum for the criminally insane.

How did I forget Jeepers Creepers and its sequel. I really love both movies but always prefer the sequel.

Jeepers Creepers

Jeepers Creepers 2

The shining will always be my favorite. It's the only traditional horror film to this day that puts the fear in me. Lately I've been watching a different kind of horror film. There is a growing trend in the film industry towards a new kind of shocking movie. Movies that are without a doubt frightening, but mostly because their horrors are grounded in reality and have overt social messages. Some examples are Irreversible, Antichrist, Enter The Void, Serbian Film, Funny Games, Martyrs, etc.

If you are looking for a classic horror, you can not go past the original 1940 "Rebecca" by Alfred Hitchcock.
Absolutely blood chilling.

Rebecca