Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why be unkind?
OrphanPip Wrote:If you're not defending the word gay, how do you expect people to write about anything if any word can be construed as offensive? The entire reason of using the word is to avoid exclusionary categories, to speak of a theoretical construction of difference without making direct reference to any identity.

I think people trying to make a political statement such as yourself would have a hard time. Scholars wouldn't, however, use a politically loaded term such as queer. It is simply not scholarly to use a slur that sides with one part of The Community over another. It is also highly disrespectful, another thing actual scholars avoid. Now, people such as yourself, who are trying to make a political statement are another matter. Evidently manners are not your concern.

OrphanPip Wrote:If you're not defending the word gay, how do you expect people to write about anything if any word can be construed as offensive? The entire reason of using the word is to avoid exclusionary categories, to speak of a theoretical construction of difference without making direct reference to any identity.

There is already a perfectly acceptable word for the noncomfomist community that is inclusionary of all, including those who are different but not in a sex/gender way, to which I don't believe anybody objects. the word is "counterculture." Is this not so?

The word is being re-appropriated to have a more positive meaning. Much like gay used to mean happy but now means homosexual (well, I guess it also means something stupid too), faggot and queer are being turned around so that future generations of gays and lesbians won't be harmed by those words. I'm sure new words will crop up, but fuck 'em, we'll re-appropriate them too.

Also, it can be a way of shoving hatred in the face of bigots. If a homophobe sees a group of gay guys all calling themselves fag, his little mind starts to collapse on itself. He thinks..."but wait, that's not what it means! Why are they using it!? That's my word!" It shoves it back in their face and exposes homophobes in public.

Just a quick thing i thought was an interesting thought.
Sorry if it's kinda off topic:
If younger people like me aren't even aware the word queer as a slur, could that mean it's starting to lose it's status as one?
That can only be a good thing in my opinion.
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

Genersis Wrote:Just a quick thing i thought was an interesting thought.
Sorry if it's kinda off topic:
If younger people like me aren't even aware the word queer as a slur, could that mean it's starting to lose it's status as one?
That can only be a good thing in my opinion.

But you are aware. You perhaps never heard it used as a slur, but you know it is one, or you couldn't have acknowledge it in what you wrote above.

you little son of a bitch and things like that were normal things my dad always said
when i desited i was going tpo leave and get out said something to let him howw i felt about his ranting and raveing he was shocked and that made him even madder
he called me some kind of son of a bitch and i explained i was so tired of him calling
my mother a bitch and and he should really think befor speaking
he left instrucions that if the jahova withessescame to the door leve the screen locked but leave door wide open before goin to the kitchin and telling him they were here so he couuld say like are thoes sonof a bitches here again and a whole stream of vulgar things as he weent to shut the front door to the empty porch he was a very vocal hater of almostevery thing that disturbed him and thatlist of things is almost endliss list of things
and if he made an error and punished you and found out later he was wrong he would say
i was wrong about punishing you for x but you deserved it for something else that i never caugh you for so you deservid it and it probaly should have been more sevier

Pix Wrote:I have PTSD. But I've never used that as a license to say others must do as I say.

Are you saying that disabled people don't deserve accomodation, or are you saying that people with ptsd aren't disabled or are you saying people are disabled with ptsd but that is somehow diferent and not deserving of accomodation. Please be clear here, if you are at all able.

nullnaught Wrote:But you are aware. You perhaps never heard it used as a slur, but you know it is one, or you couldn't have acknowledge it in what you wrote above.

Quote:If younger people like me aren't even aware the word queer as a slur,...
I know now.
I didn't know it WAS a slur till recently.
Mainly because of this site.
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

nullnaught Wrote:Are you saying that disabled people don't deserve accomodation, or are you saying that people with ptsd aren't disabled or are you saying people are disabled with ptsd but that is somehow diferent and not deserving of accomodation. Please be clear here, if you are at all able.

People with disabilities should have some accommodation. However, the disabilities act wasn't intended so people like you could make the kinds of demands that you do and imply you'd sick lawyers on messageboards if they don't do as you say.

I've had years of therapy for my PTSD, luckily with a lot of success, and when I reacted strongly and negatively to everyday things as I've done in the past I recognized the problem was with me, not society. That's not to say that I think I was never justified in my annoyance (just in it being so over the top), but I did recognize that I needed to change myself, not everyone else. When I became irrational and called people names as I've seen you do in this thread I've apologized for it with sincere regret over my behavior, not excused myself for it.

Furthermore, I've gone to a support group of others with PTSD and even though some had it much worse than me none of them came close to the level you describe. If you're not exaggerating your symptoms then you are an extreme case of it, not a typical sufferer.

A quick response now; group therapy is for people who whish to develope their drama skills and get sympathy at the same time. It is an excersize in intellectual and emotional Onanism.

Pix Wrote:People with disabilities should have some accommodation. However, the disabilities act wasn't intended so people like you could make the kinds of demands that you do and imply you'd sick lawyers on messageboards if they don't do as you say.

I've had years of therapy for my PTSD, luckily with a lot of success, and when I reacted strongly and negatively to everyday things as I've done in the past I recognized the problem was with me, not society. That's not to say that I think I was never justified in my annoyance (just in it being so over the top), but I did recognize that I needed to change myself, not everyone else. When I became irrational and called people names as I've seen you do in this thread I've apologized for it with sincere regret over my behavior, not excused myself for it.

Furthermore, I've gone to a support group of others with PTSD and even though some had it much worse than me none of them came close to the level you describe. If you're not exaggerating your symptoms then you are an extreme case of it, not a typical sufferer.