Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Desktop Backgrounds?
Rainbowmum Wrote:This is my one .
They just don't make this model of men anymore.

[Image: 936full-humphrey-bogart.jpg]

Awww. No way!:frown:

:tongue:
I tend to make all my backgrounds.
Not that i'm any good at it.:tongue:
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:I use LcarsX32 http://www.lcarsx32.com/lcars/index.php

I attached an image of my current desktop to give you an idea.

Yeah I know... it screams 'NERD!!!'

So to dig this hole a wee bit deeper. My computer also has a full array of Star Trek NG and Voyager sounds making all the beeps, whistles and declaration of 'auto self destruct', the files have been deleted and a few other things....

My next computer monitor will be touch screen, which will work with Lcars X 32.

Yes there are elves in Star Trek, they are called Vulcans :tongue:

Ever thought of dumping Windows all together and trying Linux? Linux is a lot more configurable and there are various shells you can choose from...Gnome, KDE, Unity, E, LXDE etc suitable for anything from high end to lower spec older PCs/Laptops.

I often tossed up the idea of a touch screen, but the thing that keeps putting me off...not being able to sit back in my chair and navigate and have to reach across my desk to do something as simple as scroll. Touch screens are awesome for portable devices...laptops, tablets and other handheld devices...but I would imagine they would be cumbersome with a desktop unless the monitor is 12 inches away from you, but mine are life 3 foot away when I am sitting back in my chair.

dfiant Wrote:Ever thought of dumping Windows all together and trying Linux? Linux is a lot more configurable and there are various shells you can choose from...Gnome, KDE, Unity, E, LXDE etc suitable for anything from high end to lower spec older PCs/Laptops.

But is Linux compatible with Microsoft office (i.e word) and Yahoo and all those things you usually use day to day with Windows? I do remember many years ago Linux was very experimental, as it changed since then??

Almac Wrote:But is Linux compatible with Microsoft office (i.e word) and Yahoo and all those things you usually use day to day with Windows? I do remember many years ago Linux was very experimental, as it changed since then??

It's changed a lot and is continuing to change. There is a very good Office alternative called Libre Office, but you can also use a windows emulator called 'WINE' and be able to use a lot of Windows programs under Linux.

I do everything on Linux and use Libre Office heavily, prefer it over MS Office.

If you want to check it out, I recommend Mint 11...download, burn to DVD and use it as a live DVD....meaning you can actually use the OS straight off the DVD without installing it onto your computer.

Mint 12 is still a little unstable, but it is what I am using now, but I am comfortable with and unstable system and how to make it work.

[Image: Screenshotat2011-11-30210848.png]

Updated for a cheery Festive Season....and this time I have Conky configured to show system specs, in the lower left of the screen Smile

This is my laptop background at home.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nice one Wink

Don't have a computer at work so just have my home computer and I find myself changing my background every few days depending on my mood. Right now it's a black background with rain in rainbow colors. I like it but I'll likely be changing it here in the next couple hours.