Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the appeal of going to church?
There are different movements within Judaism. The three most familiar are Orthodox (Modern and Hasidic), Conservative and Reform. The more liberal leaning, the more accepting of LGBT persons.

While we all share monotheism, our texts (Torah, Tanakh, Talmud, etc.), tzedakah (charity), and the long history of our forefathers, we do differ on level of observance, and how Halakha (Jewish Law) is interpreted. Reform views the law as guidelines whereas the Orthodox view Torah and Jewish law as divine in origin. Conservatives hold that Torah is divine but must be interpreted by rabbis to reflect modern times.

I do go to synagogue on High Holy Days and different occasions as I wish to be with my family. (And, you don't know my Bubbe!) Yes, I wear a yarmulke when I attend. As has been said, it is about tradition, my cultural identity and respect. If pushed to identify my standing, it would be a Humanistic Jew. My Conservative Rabbi knows this and more. I am still welcomed there. My bf would be welcome. I have been struggling with my spirituality for some time now. Sometimes, I think I've figured things out and other times I have no clue. I've explored so many spiritualities, you have no idea. I also belong to the LGBT Keshet group at school. For a while there I only wanted to date a fellow Jew. But, that was more about me and my insecurities.

Pellaz, I would not wear something like that to my synagogue because it's not appropriate attire. As WalkingParadox has said, holding hands is not something you would think to do during service. I think you are projecting onto Judaism and saying things that you know nothing about.

I think East is correct.
To me it's all about whether you have an open mind and heart and you fill you life with love.

Shalom.

Good post Jake...In California where the Jewish Population is largely Liberal the official Jewish stance was support for No On 8 and Jewish Voters more than any other religious group voted in favor of gay marriage...or as I like to call it in my 3-d World..."marriage equality under the law"...I use the term gay marriage alot on the Internet to identify the issue instantly...

Southern California's largest collection of rabbis, the Board of Rabbis of Southern California, voted to oppose Proposition 8. Other Jewish groups who opposed Proposition 8 include Jewish Mosaic, the American Jewish Committee, Progressive Jewish Alliance, National Council of Jewish Women, and the Anti-Defamation League. Los Angeles Jews were more opposed to Prop 8 than any other religious group or ethnic group in the city. Jewish Angelenos voted 78% against the measure while only 8% supported the measure; the remainder declined to respond

BTW...Opposition to Proposition 8 means that you support marriage equality...