Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The saddest story I have heard for a long time.
I think a lot of us are familiar with the name Crouch, as in Dominic Crouch who commit suicide in May 2010 by jumping of the 6th story of a school building due to homophobic bullying. His father, Roger Crouch became a tireless anti-bullying campaigner and set up his own popular facebook page in honour of his beloved son and to end the bullying that is killing our kids.

Roger, as tirelessly as he campaigned, never recovered from the loss of his best mate and son.

Roger passed away suddenly and unexpectedly at age 55 on November 28th 2011 only weeks after recieving a couple of awards for his work with youth.

No cause of death has been released, but there are rumours Roger had also taken his life. I hope this is not true, but if it is in fact true, I hope Bullying will be taken more seriously as a crime.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...denly.html

That's awful, that poor man.

How sad.

To reach the point where death seems like the only solution to life's problems is a terrible place to be.

Such a shame :/ R.I.P

I had no friends until i was 14. So I know what those who are bullied go thru. Though. I don't know what it's like to be bullied for being gay (actually in Junior High they called me gay all the time-but it had nothing to do with my sexuality as I wasnt gay at the time- weird I know- and they called everyone they did'nt like gay) otherwise I was completely ostracized. I was too anxious to be able to talk to people.
Fortunately my anxiety was treated before I went to high school. So at 14 I came out of my shell and became an extrovert and made lots of friends. Ironically enough in High School.

This is so sad. But I have to play devils advocate a little here. Bullies get a bad rap and people typically don't make an effort to understand where they're coming from.

I'm not justifying what bullying, but I just finished a psych course where the last lecture was on this kind of stuff. There was one case where a kid bullied another until the other kid took his own life. It was in the 80's I believe. This kid had an abusive father and was venting on this other kid.

The problem isn't the bullying per se, its inept parenting.

Yeah, it is understood that there are more than likely issues with a person that bullies, but that doesn't make bullying any less of a problem.

Dealing with bullying involves dealing WITH the bully as much as it is dealing with bullying, trying to understand why bullying is happening is the means to halting bullying. In a majority of cases, bullying doesn't involve a bully being bullied and blowing off steam.

Bottom line is bullying is bullying...at school, on the sports feild, at the shopping centre and in the work place. this sad story is clearly evidence that the damage of bullying goes deeper than the victim.

Ceruleaan Wrote:This is so sad. But I have to play devils advocate a little here. Bullies get a bad rap and people typically don't make an effort to understand where they're coming from.

I'm not justifying what bullying, but I just finished a psych course where the last lecture was on this kind of stuff. There was one case where a kid bullied another until the other kid took his own life. It was in the 80's I believe. This kid had an abusive father and was venting on this other kid.

The problem isn't the bullying per se, its inept parenting.

That's not always true. Just one other example that I'd think a psyche course would include is that a boy may feel shame and discomfort over one's own more feminine (or even desire for other guys, or perhaps a sexual experience with another guy welcome or not) and inflict it on another who is perceived as being gay to punish that part of himself (in the bully) and/or to "prove I'm not like that."

But given how many bullies are jocks, I think the problem (in this case) is the school and community that gives them a horrid sense of entitlement and a free pass to engage in bullying behavior (or ironically even in sexually abusing young boys and I've heard of jocks who "hazed" other boys in sexually abusing them with full knowledge of the coach who'd turn a blind eye to it, and there have even been principals who tried to save jocks from being charged as criminals after they found out about a gang rape they did). In this case it isn't just the parents, it's the school and sometimes even the entire community.