Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OMG-why is this section collecting dust?
YetAnother Wrote:Thanks to all who have been participating in this thread. Pc

and OrphanPip, don't let my earlier comment stop you from recommending stuff even though its not really gay.
I honestly can't see you wasting my time with bad recommendations.

i hope the board will continue to discuss what you're reading at the moment or what you find particularly intriguing and why.
...and of course your free to ask about things you are looking for as well.

I'm not reading anything at the moment, hence the thread. I'm looking for ideas.
Gay is a plus of course, but not necessarily a requirement.

Oh ya, I re-read your post, you were asking for poetry in general, ha.

I have a hard time recommending poetry. I think the best way to appreciate poetry is in the discussion of it, maybe we can make a poetry discussion thread and post a poem to talk about every week or so. Frankly, unless you really love an individual poet, or with the exception of some very brilliant poets, most often there are only a handful of poems from a poet the average reader will want or need to read.

That also reminds me, if you're interested in reading something out of the norm, gay themed, and written in poetry. You might want to check out Anne Carson's verse-novel Autobiography in Red.

I've just finished reading The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath. She is one of my favorite poets so I thought I would give some of her fiction writing a go. It was semi autobiographical so much of the book covered the main characters struggles with depression and thoughts on suicide. Her fiction writing is quite dry but interesting.
Just started reading a collection of her short stories called Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams.

thanks for the recommendations. Smile

I just spent the semester reading all of the works of Jane Austen for a class...does it count if it's for a class? I enjoyed them so I'm reading them at a leisure pace now. I love them, especially when one doesn't read them as romances.

I've also read a few books for my senior thesis project - The House of the Spirits by Isabelle Allende, Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko, and Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel. All really good books.