Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaking of ignorance
dfiant Wrote:Have to agree with that...but none is more humorous than us Aussies :tongue:

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Oh yes the Aussies do have a wonderful sense of humour, after all you gave the Yanks Crocodile" Dundee and look how they loved him....!
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Funnypost

Almac Wrote:[SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Oh yes the Aussies do have a wonderful sense of humour, after all you gave the Yanks Crocodile" Dundee and look how they loved him....!
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Funnypost

Yes, but then they came out with Yahoo Serious, and we still haven't forgiven them for that.

I would have to go with British comedy as the better of the two.

Jay Wrote:Sorry to go out of topic.

But I thought the N word is a big no to the Black community. Isn't it an insult title to the community. I read a few books and watched a few documentaries and also movies related to field slaves (Cotton plantations), African slave trade and more.

I'm baffled with Kayne West's new song called N****s in Paris. Why do some of the new generation try to neutralize and make the offensive N word mainstream?

The way I understand it is that it's ok when used by black people. Ah, here it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigga

I'm close to 2 all black members of the black community, and they've done a lot to help me understand what it means to be black. But even they aren't fully accepted in their own community for being extraordinarily intelligent, educated, having unorthodox tastes, and successful in mainstream society (so "trying to be white"). (Ironically, one friend is TOO dark, and I was surprised that one can "lose points" by being too dark or too light.) Both of them hate the use of the N-word even by black people, too, so they can't help on my wondering the same thing.

My natural inclination is to see it as similar to words like "dyke" being reclaimed. But now people who aren't dykes are fairly safe in using the word (though I've known lesbians who bristle when someone straight uses the word, no matter how inoffensively). But given what I've heard, including from my 2 really close friends (who are ostracized from the black community in part for having improved themselves and their lives significantly), I suspect there's some inferiority complex and/or hyper vigilance at work going on (like with lesbians I see who bristle when non lesbians use "dyke"), too, so in a way it's a defiance against society that looks at them a certain way and holds them down but at the same time take extreme offense when anyone else uses it. This is strictly a guess on my part.

You could ask on YT, but please tell them your race and national origin (especially as way too many whites who ask this actually mean, "Why do you get away with saying this but I don't?"). My impression (limited as it is to only most of one video) is that DANIGGAWITDATATTOOS is lucid, intelligent and would be willing to answer, especially when he realizes you're not a native of the USA. You could try a private message as he may feel more relaxed in answering, or if you post on a vid then you could get a lot more input (but YT posters include some of the worst as well as the best replies, so don't unless you're willing to accept a lot of trolls, stupidity, and immaturity to hopefully get at something coherent and enlightening). (ETA: he already addressed use of the word, which I'm watching now: .)

Oh, and I just skimmed an article that looks like a really good look at the word and its use from an academic standpoint:

http://wrt-intertext.syr.edu/XI/Nigger.html

[quote=Inchante]Yes, but then they came out with Yahoo Serious, and we still haven't forgiven them for that.

I would have to go with British comedy as the better of the two.

True, but Yahoo is supposed to be Tasmanian, so that does not count .Rofl

Grlaugh Cornflakes Grlaugh

Pix Wrote:The way I understand it is that it's ok when used by black people. Ah, here it is:

My natural inclination is to see it as similar to words like "dyke" being reclaimed. But now people who aren't dykes are fairly safe in using the word (though I've known lesbians who bristle when someone straight uses the word, no matter how inoffensively). But given what I've heard, including from my 2 really close friends (who are ostracized from the black community in part for having improved themselves and their lives significantly), I suspect there's some inferiority complex and/or hyper vigilance at work going on (like with lesbians I see who bristle when non lesbians use "dyke"), too, so in a way it's a defiance against society that looks at them a certain way and holds them down but at the same time take extreme offense when anyone else uses it. This is strictly a guess on my part.

You could ask on YT, but please tell them your race and national origin (especially as way too many whites who ask this actually mean, "Why do you get away with saying this but I don't?"). My impression (limited as it is to only most of one video) is that DANIGGAWITDATATTOOS is lucid, intelligent and would be willing to answer, especially when he realizes you're not a native of the USA. You could try a private message as he may feel more relaxed in answering, or if you post on a vid then you could get a lot more input (but YT posters include some of the worst as well as the best replies, so don't unless you're willing to accept a lot of trolls, stupidity, and immaturity to hopefully get at something coherent and enlightening). (ETA: he already addressed use of the word, which I'm watching now: .)

Oh, and I just skimmed an article that looks like a really good look at the word and its use from an academic standpoint:

http://wrt-intertext.syr.edu/XI/Nigger.html

I believe it is an aspect of what is called language reclamation, that is, taking the language of subjugation and claiming it for your own and subverting its original intention. Gay people do it with the word queer and fag.