Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About orientation & BDSM, gender roles
I used to know a guy who is very much into the BDSM subculture and he not only explained it very well but was very knowledgeable and able to cite sources. Unfortunately I lost contact with him years ago so I can't ask him what I'm about to ask now.

He said that some study or survey showed what he himself observed: that a clear majority of straight men preferred to be the "one in charge" while a vast majority of women (89% IIRC) had a strong preference for being submissive. But once you got away from heterosexuality (bi and gay equally) then it changed to about 50/50 (though people tended to assume the opposite, that is lesbians were dominatrixes and gay men inherently passive, but he said 50/50 was about right in his observation as well).

Does this seem likely? Can anyone expand on this?

I'm curious how this might relate to other aspects of heterosexuals & their gender roles as well. As a (presumably) non-controversial example, a lot of typical straight women like male alphas (some even like 'em so domineering that I suspect they're closet BDSM), and I recall how much Twilight turned me off because Edward was such a control freak who stalked & even menaced Bella at times (I even had a nightmare where Edward was after me instead). This was such a total turn off to me yet women of all ages eat it up, and I can think of many similar examples as well. I'm wondering, is it because I'm a lesbian that I don't like it? (And it's not the gender, a female vampire like Edward would still turn me off.)

I also recall when I let a guy crash with me because I liked him and he made me laugh. While I expected him to get a job I was patient and wanted him to get a job he liked rather than the first thing that came along. (Of course I did expect him to run errands and chores for me while I provided room & board for him, which he did with no problem, and he also made me laugh which I considered a valuable service.) A lot of women (typically straight) find it mind boggling that I did this. I wonder, is it because they buy into traditional gender roles where the man provides (dating back to the Hunter archetype) and since I wasn't looking at him as a mate it didn't signify that he was between jobs, or could it be because I'm a lesbian I'm "wired differently" and don't need a man to put a roof over me head (and by extension be the boss of me, which I wouldn't put up with)?

Or, put another way (as this thread was inspired by Funniest Question), do females like Twilight because they're straight? :tongue:

Messages In This Thread
About orientation & BDSM, gender roles - by Pix - 08-11-2012, 01:22 AM
About orientation & BDSM, gender roles - by OrphanPip - 08-11-2012, 03:02 AM