Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Same-sex partners of police officers to get survivor benefits
[img2=left]http://www.gayspeak.com/forum/images/news/police3.jpg[/img2]The partners of gay and lesbian police officers who die in the line of duty will be eligible for benefits under new proposals.

The Home Office’s review of the police injury compensation scheme will also extend payments to unmarried heterosexual partners.

The proposal was included in a new consultation document on the scheme.

Other new measures include changing the current arrangement whereby survivor spouses stop receiving payments if they remarry or cohabit with a new partner.

"I am committed to ensuring we have an injury compensation system suitable for the challenges of modern day policing which recognises the demanding and sometimes dangerous roles that police officers carry out," said Home Office minister Tony McNulty.

"I hope the changes will provide peace of mind and assurances to police officers and their families, while ensuring the system is as effective as possible, administered consistently and targets help where it is needed most."

Under the proposals, officers who are injured on their way to or from work will no longer be eligible for benefits, while those who are completely disabled as a result of their injuries will receive five times their average pensionable salary.
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Messages In This Thread
Same-sex partners of police officers to get survivor benefits - by andy - 08-26-2008, 07:35 PM