Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Insulin Toxicity? Intermittent Fasting
Diabetes does concern me a bit because both my parents have it, grandmother had it...I have an Aunt on insulin and well they all like to eat well and so do I.

To give you a little background, I went to the dentist of all places and to make a long story short the dentist give me a lecture about diabetes and that I need to get my A1C checked and so on. Haven't done that yet, my checkup isn't until later this year.

Forward to now. I have a bit of an obsession on watching documentaries, or anything informational. So I thought it would be nice to learn more about the mechanics of diabetes and what people can do to prevent, sounds like a good idea right.

So the first thing I find is this video called "Insulin Toxicity and How to Cure Diabetes" and looked like a doctor was giving a presentation so I gave it a look. Now, I'm not an expert by any means, not my field, but seems there have been some studies done to show that intermittent fasting can help reverse insulin resistance and help people lose weight. To put it in layman's terms, insulin resistance is caused by constant higher levels of insulin...because we eat too much carbs, sweets, etc... So the worse that the resistance is the more insulin is needed to maintain a healthy glucose level. You end up medications that either increase your sensitivity to insulin or medications that make your pancreas create more insulin and then finally you end up having to take insulin.

So the studies this doctor shows suggests that intermittent fasting can both lower insulin and glucose levels so that insulin or medication are not required. Also can help prevent insulin resistance... Of course with reduced caloric intake, reduced glucose and insulin also will lower one's weight. It has been my understanding that insulin is responsible for putting glucose into the cells...and that high insulin levels cause weight gain.

The other argument is that intermittent fasting is more natural because our ancestors, hunter gatherers would go for periods without food and our bodies would adapt to the absence of food and so on.

So anyway, not trying to start an argument. There are studies suggesting none of this is the case and things that go against the grain are always the subject to scrutiny. There's not too many companies out there who want to fund studies on not eating nor participants who want to participate in fasting and not get paid.

I am curious to hear thoughts, opinions...specifically those who either have a background or have experience.

"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Messages In This Thread
Insulin Toxicity? Intermittent Fasting - by InbetweenDreams - 06-28-2016, 12:34 AM
Insulin Toxicity? Intermittent Fasting - by Beaux - 06-28-2016, 04:46 PM
Insulin Toxicity? Intermittent Fasting - by LJay - 06-28-2016, 09:34 PM
Insulin Toxicity? Intermittent Fasting - by LJay - 06-28-2016, 10:00 PM
Insulin Toxicity? Intermittent Fasting - by Dapper - 06-29-2016, 12:24 AM
Insulin Toxicity? Intermittent Fasting - by Cuddly - 06-29-2016, 12:45 AM
Insulin Toxicity? Intermittent Fasting - by Beaux - 06-29-2016, 01:03 AM
Insulin Toxicity? Intermittent Fasting - by LJay - 06-29-2016, 01:45 AM
Insulin Toxicity? Intermittent Fasting - by LJay - 06-29-2016, 02:20 AM
Insulin Toxicity? Intermittent Fasting - by knickerbuck - 06-29-2016, 03:25 AM
Insulin Toxicity? Intermittent Fasting - by LJay - 06-29-2016, 07:25 AM