Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OneRepublic - Oh My My
In October, OneRepublic released their 4th studio album Oh My My. I just received it today and I have a few impressions to share.

[Image: OneRepublic_-_Oh_My_My.jpg]

When you first start in on Oh My My you can’t quite comprehend what it is you’re hearing. You wait for the music to finally get going, and yet it’s already there — unnoticeably, imperceptibly — having long arrived at its defining moment. It's like flying without a bearing in the stranger skies of the night.

It almost feels as if Tedder has invented a new musical genre altogether, so new and unique are his sounds and rhythms, if not in themselves then in combination. The music has somewhat of a pastoral taste to it (in a wholly urban tech flavor). It’s quiet and calm, and yet its intensity is undeniable. The beat is unbelievably slow without imparting such near-stillness to the music itself.

I expected nothing like this from their new album. Certainly not such a dominant low-key character to a major release like this one. Not this neglect of pop potential that Tedder knows how to master so exceptionally. It’s half-exploratory, barely feels serious, and yet it is recognizably a work of genius.

This is probably the most ingenious musical achievement in these last few years, proudly alongside Manson’s The Pale Emperor. Those who expect material like what was on Native and Waking Up will be gravely disappointed for there is nothing like that - at all - here. This is completely new, uncharted territory. You feel like an explorer of a new world. It is a pioneering music if ever there was such a thing.

Tedder deserves all the appreciation for having the guts to break with the history of his band and branch out in a wholly new bearing. More so, since he has succeeded in delivering a strong album full of powerful individual sound. My respect for this guy just went up even more. He has already established himself as one of the most talented musicians of our time, with Oh My My, Tedder proves he's also possibly most visionary of our time. There seem to be no limits to what he can work with.

--
I recommend you guys to check it out if you get the chance.

Two of my favorites:

''Do I look civilized to you?''

Messages In This Thread
OneRepublic - Oh My My - by meridannight - 11-16-2016, 06:18 AM
OneRepublic - Oh My My - by artyboy - 11-16-2016, 07:47 AM
OneRepublic - Oh My My - by meridannight - 11-17-2016, 05:40 AM
OneRepublic - Oh My My - by CellarDweller - 11-17-2016, 02:35 PM
OneRepublic - Oh My My - by Beaux - 11-17-2016, 03:50 PM
OneRepublic - Oh My My - by Emiliano - 11-17-2016, 07:54 PM
OneRepublic - Oh My My - by meridannight - 11-17-2016, 08:04 PM
OneRepublic - Oh My My - by Emiliano - 11-17-2016, 08:23 PM
OneRepublic - Oh My My - by meridannight - 11-17-2016, 08:40 PM