Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting over emotional attachment from a person you've liked
I don't know where to begin.

I started chatting / talking a lot with a guy in Stockholm in December.
He's not the best looking, nor the worst. Physically speaking he's around 5/10.
However, I've never felt more emotionally and intellectually connected to a person than to him. 
We could literally talk for 4-7 hours on the phone almost everyday, talking about various topics like science, philosophy, psychology, friends and family, and emotions in generally. 
I was really hesitant to meet him; not because of him as a person but because of covid-19. 
I didn't want to visit the capitol because I know it's one of the areas worst infected with all the different strains of covid; and I got friends and family in the risk-zone I didn't want to put under risk.
Eventually in February, after 2 months of talking, we meet up in Stockholm. Although we didn't do anything particular, it was on e of the best dates I've been on, and I felt a bit sad when it had to come to an end.
After that date we decided to take a 2 week break from talking to each other for a month. It was due to studies because both of us got exams to complete; and I got dyslexia while he had ADHD and Asperger's syndrome, so both of us have issues with attention.
For me, I don't see it as a bad thing to take a break. I am not a controlling person and I believe that if anything has to evolve, it has to do so organically; and a break gives each other time to reflect.
However, it has now been 5 weeks and I've not heard him back. He has my phone number so he has the possibility to contact me back; but he has changed his phone number, mailadress etc. due to a menacing stalker he has in Stockholm. 
I sent him a handwritten letter to his adress in hopes that it would make him contact me again, but it has gone a week without answer. I know that the Swedish mail services aren't good, but a regular letter shouldn't take more than 2-3 days to be sent; specially considering that we're only 2 hours door to door by train and buss. 
I don't know what to do or how to feel. I mean, in a way we've only meet once, but we've talked intensively for the period when we did speak to each other. I was hesitant to admit any strong feelings I had because I don't want to act irrational due to an infatuation; but no infatuation could make me feel so emotionally connected to another individual. 
I've tried to use tinder to move on, but even though I get a lot of matches and people wanting to chat; tinder only makes me reminded of him which makes me depressed. 
I want to accept his decision and move on; I just miss him a lot and I don't know how to shut out the emotional response. 
I've never had a boyfriend before, and when talking to him, it really felt like one day the two of us might become that. And I know in a way, if we would become a couple; experiencing a breakup would possibly feel a lot worse than this. 

What I'm asking is this: is there any good way to remove the emotional attachment to someone so you can move on with your life not thinking of the person that you removed / has removed you from your life?
Sometimes you need a bit of chaos in your life to be able to shrug off pitiful disdain about something meaningless.

Messages In This Thread
Getting over emotional attachment from a person you've liked - by Zet - 03-11-2021, 01:54 PM