Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is St. Patrick's Day a Holiday Celebrating Religious Colonialism?
I know St. Patrick's Day, at least here in the US for most part secular, after all a lot of people wear green and drink beer and celebrate all things Irish. However, the history of St. Patrick, aka Maewyn Succat, is rather dark and perhaps a celebration of religious colonialism.

Quote:You may have heard of the sermon given by St. Patrick that was so powerful that is drove all the “snakes” out of Ireland. The snakes are a metaphor referring to the removal of the Pagans and Druidic priests from Ireland. The myth, however, that St. Patrick drove all the snakes out of Ireland isn’t even true. The conversion to Christianity took place over a long period of time. This was done gradually and aggressively, stripping away the native Irish’s traditions, religion and the worship of their Gods and Goddesses by means of social pressure which likely went well beyond that.

https://www.spiritualgardening.net/st-pa...lonialism/
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Messages In This Thread
Is St. Patrick's Day a Holiday Celebrating Religious Colonialism? - by InbetweenDreams - 03-17-2021, 01:18 PM