Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying Junk
So I have been seeing this guy since around the beginning of the year. He's a sweet guy and good looking but...there's some issues that I think will become big issues if we ever get around to getting serious with each other.

He has an affection for older granny cars. Stuff like the late 80's early 90's Buicks and Oldsmobiles. Which is just fine, in fact my dad had one and I get the nostalgia. However, he has accumulated 5 of these vehicles and only 2 of them are drivable. He just bought a '94 Park Avenue for $1500. Now, if this car was going to be a beater car he was going to drive around for a year, that would be fine. However, this car has issues. He told me over the phone he didn't check the fluids and trusted the place he bought it from that they were all good. Not judging him for the cars he likes but what makes this especially bad, his truck, the one vehicle he does depend on is in the shop which is apparently going to cost $900 to have fixed. Just the timing of things and the apparent lack of self-control. I know, I don't have any room to talk and many many examples of that. So I get it. I wouldn't be concerned if he was holding out for cars like these that were in better shape and something that he could realistically restore. He doesn't work on cars and can't fix mechanical problems so with him making $10 at a job he hates and all this...It is upsetting seeing him make these sort of mistakes.

I do feel that maybe I'm being too harsh on the issue. Not bitching him out or anything but I have pointed out that he could have put the money towards fixing his other vehicles. He also has a '86 Corvette which has issues running rich, an Old Eighty-Eight that needs a tire. He could have got 2 cars back on the road for much less than $1500 and had a vehicle to drive to come see me this weekend (I've come over to see him the last three times).

Again, don't get me wrong I have a good history of wasting money on shit and making boneheaded choices. The only thing I can say here is that he's not checking out the cars he's buying and they end up becoming yard ornaments.

The other thing is he just won't look for other jobs. He hates the one he's at, very underpaid and overworked and I've told him he should get on and look just to see what's out there. At the same time, I know what it is like to work at a crappy job and I know how scary the prospect is to go look for a new job, interviews and anxiety and so forth. I do understand this he does have a severe case of anxiety in general. All these are things I have at one point or another dealt with on some level.

I don't want to be too hard on him but I do feel that someone has got to push him to make better choices but if I do it there's a chance he'll resent me and I don't want to be seen that I'm controlling him. I don't know what to do here. I don't think pointing out how stupid it is to have 7 cars and none of them can drive 100 miles is going to work and I don't know how I can get serious with him between the distance.

We talk on the phone almost every night and usually for a good bit but often it is just me giving a monologue. He doesn't have much to say and I just run out of things to try to talk about. I mean, he's sweet and affectionate and a lot of good things but I'm kind of bored with him and this stuff is a bit frustrating for me.

Hopefully it's not just me being an asshole here.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Messages In This Thread
Buying Junk - by InbetweenDreams - 05-11-2021, 04:14 AM
RE: Buying Junk - by Cridders88 - 05-11-2021, 01:09 PM
RE: Buying Junk - by InbetweenDreams - 05-11-2021, 02:39 PM
RE: Buying Junk - by Bookworm - 05-11-2021, 08:38 PM
RE: Buying Junk - by InbetweenDreams - 05-11-2021, 09:29 PM
RE: Buying Junk - by Chase - 05-13-2021, 06:29 PM
RE: Buying Junk - by InbetweenDreams - 05-14-2021, 04:02 PM