Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux Distros - Out of the Box Experience
I think one of the biggest challenges Linux has at becoming a more mainstream desktop OS is that some distros are not very well polished as others, plus there's a ton of distros, hell you could build your own if you really wanted to. I think most of us know or heard of Ubuntu. Ubuntu is also one of the more popular Linux distros, as well as Mint. The other hurdle is software, particularly software like Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop don't run on Linux (not accounting for emulators, wine or virtual machines)

I have pretty much stuck with Debian based distros as that's just been what I have been familiar with, however, since at work we have (finally) moved from Solaris to Red Hat Enterprise Linux (will refer to as RHEL moving forward) I thought it might be better to get more acquainted with RHEL based distros like Fedora. Well I installed Fedora on my work laptop and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with how polished it is, how well it runs and the overall attention to detail. I thought it might be an issue to get some software running but seems many of the things I use like Microsoft Teams do have an RPM and a lot of the other software I like under Debian/Ubuntu/Mint are also available from the repository, although getting used to doing "sudo yum install whatever" instead of "sudo apt install whatever" since the distros use different package managers. Not getting into which is better, they both work and I haven't used yum/dnf enough to break it (Oh, I have fubar'd apt a few times).

Speaking of screwing things up, I did have Kubuntu on this system and kind of screwed it up (thank's Nvidia). So I decided I would try straight up Debian, just to step away from Canonical and see how that worked out.

I have used Manjaro and it is visually appealing, I like KDE Plasma, but while the packages were newer some stuff was just broken and wasn't able to use it. I didn't bother with Arch.

The thing is, tinkering with stuff is great but I need things to be reliable and while packages from Debian are written in sand script, it is reliable in my experience.

Anyone else mess around with Linux and if so what distros do you use, perhaps what desktop manager you like?
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • andy

Messages In This Thread
Linux Distros - Out of the Box Experience - by InbetweenDreams - 07-20-2021, 02:37 AM